Summary: Living life in God’s footsteps
Walking Like God Walks
· Going to take this morning about how we walk. Have you ever thought about how you walk. How your walk looks to others.
1) Friend from a church I pastured while in Seminary named David. David is a racewalker. David doesn’t know it but he looks funny when he walks.
2) Powerwalking is a popular art today. Powerwalkers walk like aliens or like they are searching for a restroom.
3) Walkers in our neighborhood. One man carries barbells while he walks. I pity the dog that bothers him.
Heard one man describe how we might walk if we walked like many people like to drive:
1) Suddenly race one another down the sidewalk.
2) Someone steps out in front of us we begin walking 2 inches off their backside.
3) Make faces and yell at people who don’t walk like we want them to.
4) Grunt and growl while waiting for the light to change at a crosswalk.
· This morning I want to talk about God’s kind of walking. Paul tells us many things about our walking in the Book of Ephesians:
1) 4:1 Walk worthy 4:17 Walk different from the world
5:8 Walk in the light 5:15 walk in wisdom…
Many other descriptions in the Bible of how a person should walk.
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints; and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving thanks.
For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
Therefore do not be partakers with them Ephesians 5:1-7
· FOUR THOUGHTS THIS MORNING AS WE CONSIDER OUR WALK
THE DIRECTION OF OUR WALK: Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.
· The direction of our walk should be Godward.
Word ‘followers/imitators’ is literally the word for ‘mimic’.
We are to be mimics of God. To follow His pattern and example.
To be ‘godlike’. To reflect His characteristics in an ungodly world.
Children are great imitators or mimics.
At a certain age they especially try to mimic their parents. The imitate both the good and bad they see.
Problem today in our society today is that it is hard to find hero’s for children.
There are many popular people but it seems that the worst elements of our society have become the most visible.
Most actors, athletes and even politicians do not project anything to be esteemed. CHILDREN NEED HERO’S. Someone they can safely mimic.
Hollywood sees children more as prey than to be protected
1) Most R-rated movies are directed towards those who are not even old enough to attend.
2) Media drools over their power to change society aside from the political process; Homosexuality is a hot topic in Hollywood: Award shows that used to utilize some very esteemed person as MC are now using people like ROSIE – ELLEN – Cast from Will & Grace(Even Rosie O’Donnell on Nicelodeum) NOTICE THE TREND