Summary: ”What does it mean to be a Mature Christian? How do I know if I’m maturing as a Christian?”
WALKING LIKE JESUS WALKED
Text: John 14:27
1. ”What does it mean to be a Mature Christian? How do I know if I’m maturing as a Christian?”
2. Tough question!
3. We’re all on a journey:
(1 John 2:6 ESV) whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
4. Our journey started with Salvation (Newborn baby Christian) Just Like Jesus
a) Jesus began his walk by being baptized because:
It becomes us to fulfill all righteousness.
b) He immediately had to deal with the devil, resisting temptation by relying on God’s word.
5. The walk ends with eternity in Heaven (Mature believer in Christ)
6. In between Salvation & Heaven is the “Muddle in the Middle”
7. How do I know if I’m “On Track”?
8. How do I know if I’m progressing like I should?
9. There are no report cards to tell us!
10. The simple answer – every day/week/month/year, becoming a little more like Jesus.
Romans 8:29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
11. If you were to graph your life, would you see yourself becoming more like Jesus?
12. OK, so a mature Christian is becoming more & more like Jesus.
13. Practically, what does that mean?
14. I see 4 ways to become more like Jesus.
I. Speak as Jesus Spoke
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
A. The hours before His crucifixion, Jesus knew he would soon be betrayed, arrested, beaten and crucified.
B. Jesus knew His apostles would scatter, curse & swear they never knew Him.
Yet, look at His words to them in the hours before his abandonment, torture and death.
C. If you knew what Jesus knew in those hours, what would you have said to your disciples?
D. He spoke words of peace, words of love, words to calm, words to heal (even before his betrayal)
E. Jesus’ Words always put other’s needs above His own!
Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
1 Peter 3:15-16 15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, 16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.
F. Do our words do the same?
G. Read James 3:1-12
H. Old English Prayer from the 1600’s
Lord Grant this one request I pray:
Guide thou my tongue! The words I say
can never be called back again,
should they cause anger, sorrow, pain then
in an ever-widening sphere,
they spread their havoc far and near.
So guide my tongue in every word,
that it may bless where it is heard.
I. If we’re to Mature in Christ, to become just like Jesus, we must speak as Jesus Spoke. Also we must...