Summary: Our walk with Christ is necessary to any and all work for Christ. God’s not called us to find fulfillment in the quantity of our work for Him but in the quality of our walk with Him. What does it mean to walk with Christ?
WALKING WITH CHRIST
INTRODUCTION: In writing to the churches in Asia Minor, Christ censured the church at Sardis for failure to walk with Him. Christ found their works imperfect and their spiritual life for all intent and purpose dead. Our walk with Christ is the necessary foundation for any and all work for Christ. God has not called us to find fulfillment in the quantity of our work for him but in the quality of our walk with him. The church is often short of workers as a result of so many Christians who are not daily walking with Christ. What does it mean to walk with Christ?
I. To walk with Christ is to walk side by side with Christ.
A. Amos 3:3 "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?"
B. We are not to walk ahead of Christ
1. Many times we try to get ahead of God and His schedule. We want certain things and we want them to happen "right now!"
2. The scriptures use the phrase, "In the fullness of time." God’s timing is always right, while ours is usually flawed.
3. Psalms 46:10. "Be still, and know that I am God."
4. Psalms 27:14 "Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart: wait, I say, on the LORD"
5. Isaiah 40:31 "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
6. Don’t live your life ahead of God’s will or outside of his will.
7. Psalm 32:8 says, "I will instruct you and teach you in the way, which you should go: I will guide you with my eyes."
8. Getting Ahead of God by Debbie Porter
There’s one thing I have noticed, Since my Christian walk begun,
And that’s my growing passion For the Father, Spirit, Son.
With every day that passes There’s a hunger more and more
To live and breathe the message Of the One that I adore.
Although at times I falter, And my pace may sometimes slow,
God’s always there to guide me, And His perfect way to show.
He is my strength both day and night. No greater friend I’ll meet.
When solid ground begins to shake, He’s the rock beneath my feet.
So with this strong assurance Of God’s steadfast, faithful love,
You’d think that I would always seek, His wisdom from above.
Yet all too often, I’m afraid, I fail to wait and ask
Before I race to action - Jumping first into the task.
It’s when I find myself neck deep In trouble, mess and strife,
I stop and take some time to think ’Bout this detour in my life.
That’s when I hear God’s gentle voice, Murmured whisper to my soul,
Reminding me that in my hands Was a piece, but not the whole.
"My precious child, you only saw The smallest little part
Of the vision that I have for you. I never said to start."
"I didn’t tell you when to go, Or where the dream would lead.
There’s a little bit of work to do That’s why you shouldn’t speed!"
"Stay close to me and watch and wait, Until the time is right
Then when you start upon My way, The road will blaze with light."
"No more wrong turns to misdirect, Dead ends will cease to be.
Your feet will always be secure, If You’ll wait and follow Me."