Summary: A sermon related to Christian Service
INTRO: This chapter covers a period of 1500 years. It contains the history of Adam’s family to the time of Noah. In this chapter, is the story of Enoch. He began his walk with God after his son was born. Too many men wait until they die to walk with God. Enoch was 65 years old when he began his walk. He walked with God for 300 years.
Noah also walked with God (6:9). This gives us a picture of pilgrimage. There are THREE KINDS OF WALKS:
I. WALK OF SURRENDERS.
A. Surrender sin (1 John 3:9).
1. Walking in the light (1 John 1:5-7).
Walking in the light is explained in vv. 8-10. To live in fellowship.
2. Chapter 2:9-11 says man can’t get along with his brother because he can’t get along with God.
B. Surrender self ways (Prov. 14:14).
1. We must surrender ourselves to God.
We can’t walk with God while we are self-centered.
2. Surrender our will to His supreme will.
Put ourselves at His command.
ILLUS: Soldier under the command of his superior officer.
3. ILLUS: Lincoln was asked to pray that God would be on the side of the Union Army. His reply was that He would pray that the Union Army would be on the side of God.
II. WALK OF SERVICES.
A. There must be agreement (Amos 3:3).
1. Enoch walked with God, not before or after God.
2. You can’t walk with God unless you are in agreement with God.
ILLUS: Shopping for a new car. Unless you agree, you are wasting your time.
3. You can’t serve God and mammon (Joshua 24:15).
B. Enoch witnessed for God while walking.
C. Praise is no substitute for service.
D. Prayer is no substitute for witnessing.
1. Put feet on your prayers.
2. Four kinds of feet:
a. Crippled—sinners feet.
b. Dirty—don’t walk with God with these.
c. Naked—can’t go about as we ought.
d. Beautiful—the right kind.
III. THE WALK OF SURPRISES.
A. Pleasantness (Proverbs 3:17). We are surprised how pleasant something hard can really be.
B. Acquaintance—It is amazing how intimate you can get with God.
C. Surprise at the knowledge gained by a walk. We know the people we live with much better than we know strangers.
D. The peace midst the storm. God will give His people protection and peace if they walk with Him.
CONC: The end of the walk. God set Enoch across Jordan. Genesis 5:24.