Summary: What does it mean to walk with God?
TEXT QUESTION: What does it mean to walk with God?
Walking with God means to go in God’s direction.
1. God’s way is clearly Marked (1 John 2:6) "whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did."
2. God’s way is always the best way.
(Psalm 1) "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful." - "Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous."
Walking with God means to proceed at God’s pace.
"God’s pace is not to be confused with God’s purpose."
1. God’s purpose is a deliberate, determined one. (His purpose will be accomplished)
(Isa. 46:11) "yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it."
2. God’s pace varies at different times and for different reasons.
"Sometimes Fast, Sometimes Slow and Sometimes Stop (wait)" Ill. - Abraham and Sarah
Walking with God means to make progress.
1. Walking with God begins with the first step. (Salvation)
"Before we walk we stand, before we stand we crawl and before we crawl we must be born."
(John 3:7) "Ye must be born again."
2. The walk with God continues with a series of successive steps after the first step. (Sanctification)
"Growth is normal for a newborn"
(Acts 2:42,46) "They devoted themselves to the apostle’s teaching and to the fellowship...Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts..."
Walking with God means sharing intimacy.
1. God intimately interacts with human beings. (God initiates)
"Because of Love, God seeks those with whom He can be intimate."
(Ezek. 11:19-20) "I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within them, and take the stony heart out of their flesh, and give them a heart of flesh, that they may walk in My statutes and keep My judgments and do them; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God."
2. God allows His Children to share their life with him.
"God wants us to share our hopes, dreams and aspirations; and our frustrations, troubles and disappointments."
(Jer. 33:3) "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."
Walking with God means to arrive at a destination.
1. God causes His Children to reach their potential in life.
(Eph. 2:10) "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."
2. God causes His to reach their final destination. (Heaven)
(Heb. 11:5) "By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God."