Summary: Here in Romans we are on the edge of a new frontier. Pioneers to a new & better life. Leaving the crowd to enter a vast new experience. Entering into a personal experience with the Lord.
- John Gast's “American Progress” (1872) picture
- It depicts a symbolic Liberty unrolling telegraph wire
- With the book of education in the other hand
- The “Star of Empire” on her head as settlers head west.
- The Mississippi & cities left behind
- Indians can be seen in retreat.
- The new frontier being discovered
- Here in Romans we are on the edge of a new frontier
- Pioneers to a new & better life
- Leaving the crowd to enter a vast new experience
- Never to turn back to the old ways
Romans 6:1–2 (AV)
1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Question v.1: Are Christians “to abide with” or “to embrace” sin?
1 John 3:6 (AV)
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
1 John 3:9 (AV)
9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1 John 5:18 (AV)
18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
- Arrogance with assumption
A man presumed that he knew which plane to board when he wanted a quick 50 minute flight from Los Angeles to Oakland, Cal. However, after two hours in the air he asked the flight attendant why it was taking so long to land in Oakland. The stewardess disappeared for a moment and called the pilot about a man who might pose a threat to the safety of all those on board. Before the man knew it he was handcuffed and put in the back of the plane. 12 hours later, the man learned that he was in New Zealand. After serious questioning, the man confessed that he misunderstood Auckland for Oakland the largest city in New Zealand his faulty presumption landed him a heap of trouble
Psalm 19:13 (AV)
13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
Israel Misused the Privilege
Num 11:1 – People Complained - - Fire sent
Num. 11:4-6 – Wept again – Lord sent manna (taste of oil v.8)
Num 11:13 – Give us flesh to eat- (Lord sent quail 3’ high v.31)
Num. 13-14 – Spies said the land was good 12:31 “BUT” v. 33 giants
Psalm 106:13–15 (AV)
13 They soon forgat his works; they waited not for his counsel:
14 But lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert.
15 And he gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul.
Hebrews 3:17 (AV)
17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
Answer to “Are we to continue in sin”?
- v.2 - God forbid
• That’s unthinkable
• Absolutely not
• May it never be so
Believer Is Dead
Romans 6:11 (AV)
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 8:13 (AV)
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
Colossians 3:5 (AV)
5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
- How are we dead to Sin or to mortify the flesh?
Use Marriage As A Model With Christ
- Love changes everything
- Marriage brings about commitment
Romans 7:4 (AV)
4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
- When a man loves a woman, he feels like anything is possible!
He can climb a mountain cross every sea!
The Marriage Vow
- I call upon all present to witness that I take you to be my …., to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health while we both shall live.
Begins with an attitude towards Christ alone
Learn The Four Basic Steps Of Falling In Love.
1. Attraction (draw closer by spending time with Him)
2. Acceptance (grow to fall deeply in love with Him)
3. Attachment (commit yourself to a relationship with him)