Summary: This message is intended to alert us to the fact of spiritual warfare and give us information that wll help us in our spiritual battles.
War A Good Warfare
A. Our passage for this morning reads, This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck: Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme. 1 Tim. 1:18-20
1. Please note the words war a good warfare
2. Have you ever thought about your life of faith as a war?
3. I find that this war is being fought on two levels
a. First that of The Faith – the doctrinal premise and understanding gospel and God’s word
- It is what Jude was speaking about when he wrote Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. Jude 1:3
b. Secondly, there is the matter of our personal working out of The Faith in our own life as a life of faith
1) Here many of you, as well as myself at times, are saying “Oh, yah, it’s a war and it seems like I’m loosing most of the battles!”
2) And even Paul had problems at times, writing, For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Rom 7:19
c. Both are intimately intertwined with each other.
4. And as our passage shows, it is possible to dash our life vessel of faith upon the rocks and become shipwrecked!
B. So the question for us today might be:
1. How do we fight the good fight of faith – war a good warfare?
2. How do we keep from shipwrecking our faith?
C. Well, I don’t have all the answers but maybe we can find some encouragement and direction from Paul’s words to young Timothy.
1. As we study this passage it will help us to understand two things, which comprise our Outline for this morning: We Need To Understand
a. First, Some Dynamics of Spiritual Warfare
b. Secondly, Some Specifics for Spiritual Warfare
2. My hope is that God will open our hearts to the reality of Spiritual warfare and help us learn how to be victorious in it.
If you remember our last message in Habakkuk we said that the Life of Faith is a Fight. That imagery is pressed into use even more in our passage this morning. So to help us in this fight this warfare I think we need to understand a few things, beginning with
I. SOME DYNAMICS OF SPIRITUAL WARFARE, This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; Holding faith, and a good conscience;
A. First, I must state the obvious, spiritual warfare is war!
1. You must come to understand, that once you accepted Christ as Savior by faith – the battle began in earnest
a. All of life is a spiritual battle, but you just did not know it.
b. When you accepted Christ, you came head to head with the spiritual elements (not physical) that wanted you to be separated from God