Summary: Wash and be Clean
2 Kings 5: 1-15 Wash and be Clean
1. THE MAN 1 Now Naaman, captain of the host of the king of Syria, was a great man with his master, and honourable, because by him the LORD had given deliverance unto Syria: he was also a mighty man in valour, but he was a leper.
A. His Position a “captain of the host”
B. His Power “a great man with his master”
C. His Popularity “and honorable” because by him the LORD had given deliverance unto Syria
D. His Prowess "he was also a mighty man in valour"
E. His Problem “but he was leper” - He couldn’t be cured by man
7 And it came to pass, when the king of Israel had read the letter, that he rent his clothes, and said, Am I God, to kill and to make alive, that this man doth send unto me to recover a man of his leprosy?
2. THE MALADY - but he was a leper. -
A. It was A Condition That Caused Dread.
The prognosis of painful suffering and death. Bishop Hall says, "the basest slave in Syria would not change skins with him".
B. Defilement. Lev. 13:46 All the days wherein the plague shall be in him he shall be defiled; he is unclean: he shall dwell alone; without the camp shall his habitation be.
C. Death. “For the wages of sin is death. But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 6:23).
3. THE MAID 2 And the Syrians had gone out by companies, and had brought away captive out of the land of Israel a little maid; and she waited on Naaman’s wife.
HER TRIAL brought away captive out of the land of Israel
HER TASK - a little maid, and she waited on Naaman’s wife.
HER TESTIMONY - 3 And she said unto her mistress, Would God my lord were with the prophet that is in Samaria! for he would recover him of his leprosy.
The Messenger - a little maid, (There is a Curse with Sin)
The Message - recover him of his leprosy. (There is a Cure for Sin)
The Mission - Would God my lord were with the prophet that is in Samaria! (There is a Call from Sin)
HER TRUST - for he would recover him of his leprosy.
4. THE MISTAKE 5 And the king of Syria said, Go to, go, and I will send a letter unto the king of Israel. And he departed, and took with him ten talents of silver, and six thousand pieces of gold, and ten changes of raiment.
1. He Went To The Wrong Person - a letter unto the king of Israel
2. He Carried The Wrong Price - Salvation is free! The price is faith!
3. He Had The Wrong Plan - 11 But Naaman was wroth, and went away, and said, Behold, I thought,
4. He Had The Wrong Perception - 12 Are not Abana and Pharpar, rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of Israel? may I not wash in them, and be clean? - Naaman's way was superior to God's!
5. THE MIRACLE 14 Then went he down, and dipped himself seven times in Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God: and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was clean.
1. Naaman's Solution - 13 Wash, and be clean?
2. Naaman's Submission 14 Then went he down, and dipped himself seven times in Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God:
3. Naaman's Salvation - 14 and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was clean.
1. There was A GREAT HUMBLING. Naaman “went down”.
2. There was PERFECT OBEDIENCE. “seven times”,
3. There was A COMPLETE CURE. 14 and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was clean.
6. THE MESSAGE - 15 And he returned to the man of God, he and all his company, and came, and stood before him: and he said, Behold, now I know that there is no God in all the earth, but in Israel: