Summary: It’s so important to know the truth.
1. We pick up where we left off last week… Peter is writing against the Hungry Wolves that have come against the church.
• Remember, wherever there are HEALTHY SHEEP, there are always HUNGRY WOLVES nearby.
Satan is NOT happy with Christian progress & spiritual growth.
• When you take to heart things we’ve learned in CH 1.
• You start adding to your faith… opposition will come.
• Sometimes our enemy uses discouragement…
• Other times it’s a series of distractions…
• But ultimately, he’s trying to wipe us out & take us down.
But let’s be careful not to get sidetracked…
• It’s important to keep our eyes firmly fixed on Jesus FIRST.
• That’s the order that Paul gives us in Acts 20:28ff
QUESTION: Why does he mention this first?
#1 – GUARD AGAINST SPIRITUAL WEAKNESS
• It’s interesting how quickly we can become spiritually weak.
• A little time away from the Word… away from prayer.
• The early church was strong, and so will we be as we steadily continue on in those spiritual disciplines.
Acts 2.42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
John 15:4 "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
#2 – GUARD AGAINST WANDERING
It can be easy to stray from the basics. To see a VIBRANT & GROWING walk disappear breaks my heart time and time again.
Hebrews 2.1 “Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.
#3 – GUARD AGAINST WEARINESS
• There is that tendency in the Christian work & ministry to become so busy serving and doing the work of the Lord that you leave your FIRST LOVE BEHIND. -- Flip over to Revelation 2:1ff
NOTE: Remember Joseph & Mary on way home from Jerusalem?
• They were so caught up in worshipping the Lord that they LOST JESUS for 3 days!
• Is it possible to lose Jesus in our worship and service? YES!!!!
• True ministry is an outflow of a deep, abiding, and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
Jude 1:20-21 “But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
WELL it’s exactly when you’re steadying on in Jesus that a false teacher comes our way…
I. (2:13-17) WHAT THEY ARE
1. (13-14) Stern & strong words!
a. The Holy Spirit has strong & stern words for these people who have no desire but to destroy the work of God.
b. Stern yes, but that’s what God thinks about those that would lead His people into false teaching!
RIGHT LIVING is always based on RIGHT THINKING.
• AND RIGHT THINKING is always based on RIGHT TEACHING.
• But FALSE TEACHING always leads to FALSE LIVING.
AND as we reread through vv12-15 it’s sad.
• So much is available to them. Life promised in Jesus.
• But they settle for their own ways, their own perverted teachings, and their own sinful lifestyles.
• They’re like unrestrained animals, living wild & reckless lives.
• But don’t even understand what they’re talking about.
(13) Will receive the wages of unrighteousness
• Philips Translation says, “Their wickedness has earned them an evil end and they will be paid in full.”
(13) They are spots & blemishes alongside of you.
Jude 1:12 These are spots in your love feasts, while they feast with you without fear, serving only themselves. They are clouds without water, carried about by the winds; late autumn trees without fruit, twice dead, pulled up by the roots;
(14) Eyes full of adultery - Cannot cease from sin
• At the root of their lives is rebellion & sinful lusts.
Enticing unstable souls – This is totally the theme of every single cult that has ever existed.
• They don’t go out to the lost, and share good news because false teachers have no good news, just bad news!
2. (15-16) Forsaken the Right way. (NUMBERS 22)
a. Balaam was a Prophet for profit, a ancient day hireling!
b. Balak the king had heard about Balaam & asked him to come and curse the people of Israel for him.
c. Balaam was stopped in his tracks by an angel sent by God.
d. His donkey tries to warn him but they end up arguing.
e. Finally he sees the angel and stops… but his evil ways didn’t.
f. Rather than cursing the people he encourage Balak to throw a pagan party to entice the men of Israel into sexual sin.