Summary: It’s so important to know the truth.
1. We pick up where we left off last week… Peter is writing against the Hungry Wolves that have come against the church.
• Remember, wherever there are HEALTHY SHEEP, there are always HUNGRY WOLVES nearby.
Satan is NOT happy with Christian progress & spiritual growth.
• When you take to heart things we’ve learned in CH 1.
• You start adding to your faith… opposition will come.
• Sometimes our enemy uses discouragement…
• Other times it’s a series of distractions…
• But ultimately, he’s trying to wipe us out & take us down.
But let’s be careful not to get sidetracked…
• It’s important to keep our eyes firmly fixed on Jesus FIRST.
• That’s the order that Paul gives us in Acts 20:28ff
QUESTION: Why does he mention this first?
#1 – GUARD AGAINST SPIRITUAL WEAKNESS
• It’s interesting how quickly we can become spiritually weak.
• A little time away from the Word… away from prayer.
• The early church was strong, and so will we be as we steadily continue on in those spiritual disciplines.
Acts 2.42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
John 15:4 "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
#2 – GUARD AGAINST WANDERING
It can be easy to stray from the basics. To see a VIBRANT & GROWING walk disappear breaks my heart time and time again.
Hebrews 2.1 “Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.
#3 – GUARD AGAINST WEARINESS
• There is that tendency in the Christian work & ministry to become so busy serving and doing the work of the Lord that you leave your FIRST LOVE BEHIND. -- Flip over to Revelation 2:1ff
NOTE: Remember Joseph & Mary on way home from Jerusalem?
• They were so caught up in worshipping the Lord that they LOST JESUS for 3 days!
• Is it possible to lose Jesus in our worship and service? YES!!!!
• True ministry is an outflow of a deep, abiding, and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
Jude 1:20-21 “But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
WELL it’s exactly when you’re steadying on in Jesus that a false teacher comes our way…
I. (2:13-17) WHAT THEY ARE
1. (13-14) Stern & strong words!
a. The Holy Spirit has strong & stern words for these people who have no desire but to destroy the work of God.
b. Stern yes, but that’s what God thinks about those that would lead His people into false teaching!
RIGHT LIVING is always based on RIGHT THINKING.
• AND RIGHT THINKING is always based on RIGHT TEACHING.
• But FALSE TEACHING always leads to FALSE LIVING.
AND as we reread through vv12-15 it’s sad.
• So much is available to them. Life promised in Jesus.
• But they settle for their own ways, their own perverted teachings, and their own sinful lifestyles.
• They’re like unrestrained animals, living wild & reckless lives.