Summary: What we say shows whats in our heart.
James 1:26–27 26If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. 27Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.
I. You say you believe? Watch your Mouth.
A. Words are the overflow of your heart.
Luke 6:45 A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. What you say flows from what is in your heart.
B. Words can build others up.
Proverbs 18:21 The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.
C. Words can tear others down.
Ephesians 4:29–30 29Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. 30And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, He has identified you as His own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.
D. Steps to avoid GOSSIP.
1. Is it true?
2. Is it necessary?
3. Is it beneficial?
4. Do I have permission to share it?
5. Is my motive pure?
Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue.
II. You say you believe? Love the unloved.
A. Orphans and Widows were neglected in Jesus’ Day.
1. Consider adoption.
a. Pictures the redemption act of God’s adoption us
b. Adoption will change you and the child
2. Consider Fostering
3. Take care of any widows who are really widows.
1 Timothy 5:3–4 Honor widows who are truly widows. But if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God.
B. The Idea is to show Christ’s Love.
1. Care for those who cannot care for themselves.
2. Love those who are not loved.
1. Engage your mind before you engage your mouth.
2. Warning: Watch Your Words. The tongue is in a wet place and it can easily slip.
3. If you are a gossip, “put off” gossip and “put on” encouragement. Start encouraging those whom you have gossiped about.
4. If you use God’s name in vain, “put off” blasphemy and “put on” praise.
5. The more you use your tongue for good, the more difficult it will be to “slip up”.