Summary: As the Jews celebrated the memory of water in the desert, the Water of Life was ignored in their presence. He promised they could be a river of life.
Water, Water, Everywhere
1. There is a Compulsion. (Need). (thirsts)
* When one is thirsty, that becomes his focus.
* Thirst is the most painful thing.
* Eudipsia is normal thirst. Hyperdipsia is temporary intense thirst,
* Polydipsia is sustained excessive thirst. Describe is wanting to drink anything. (Wikipedia)
* Affects every organ in the body, spasms muscles and digestion. Hallucinations.
* Background, Feast of Tabernacles, people thirsted in wilderness, God supplied water from the stone Moses struck.
* Now the priests went to pool of Siloam, got bucket of water, poured it in basin. Another basin of wine. Poured both on the alter and went down steps of temple. People shouted.
* People celebrated, remembering that God supplied their needs.
* Forgot that He sent Jesus Christ to fill their spirit needs.
* I Corinthians 10:1-4 - 1Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.
* The rock was struck, and brought forth water.
* Jesus was about to be struck and would bring to us life.
* Mankind without Jesus Christ is constantly seeking satisfaction.
* Read text.
2. There is a Condition (prerequisite). (believes in me)
* There are many variations in Christianity of how to obtain life.
* People use pet verses.
* Mark 16:16 - "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."
* Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
* In each case, the action of Baptism is shown as a results of an inner change that already took place.
* Let me show you something.
* Matthew 19:21 - Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."
* Is this teaching economic salvation? That is what is says!
* But we know from the whole of scripture that is not what Jesus was saying.
* This man had an obstacle to following Jesus, his wealth.
* Jesus said, "Let’s remove the obstacles so you can believe in me and follow me completely.
* Salvation was not found in selling all our goods. That just removed the obstacle.
* Coming to Jesus to follow Him is where salvation is found.
* Now, the Jews were mostly afraid of being ostracizes. Kicked out of the Synagogue and un-jewed.
* It was expected by the early Christians that one would follow Jesus completely, beginning with baptism, if they truly believed.
* However, for these Jews, they wanted to believe Jesus, but not publically announce it.
* Both passages indicate that we must surrender fully, overcome all obstacles, to fully have faith.
* The 17 other passages that Jesus gave us concerning salvation, "believe". John 3:16.