Summary: how we need to let God lead us to rach out and touch people with the Gospel.
WAYS TO HELP YOUR NEW PASTOR by Carroll R. Gunkel
1. Recognize that he will be different from the former pastor and in that, difference there will be new ideas.
2. Remember that your pastor feels called of God to a high and holy task; he is a man of dedication.
3. Be honest with your new minister; let him know how you feel about his ministry in your midst so that his ministry may be guided by your needs and preferences.
4. Tell him if you disagree with him, otherwise he may never know, and he will want to know, keep open the lines of communication.
5. Compliment you pastor he is a stranger in your midst and he will be warmed by your appreciation.
6. Give him time to learn names; the congregation has one name to learn and he has many!
7. Call him in time of need; he has been appointed to lead the congregation, but he can only become your pastor and friend as you let (him share the rich experiences of your lives.
8. Be tolerant of the mistakes he will make - we are all human and therefore fallible.
9. Remember that your new pastor is going to want to make some changes; recognize hi) creativity and work with him, resisting the temptation to say: “We never did it that way before.”
10. Pray every day for your pastor and your church.
11. Work for the glory of God, keeping service to Him at the forefront of all you say and do.
We are a team with Jesus as our leader
Matthew 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spoke unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go you therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Matthew 22:36-40 "Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the Law of Moses?" Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and your entire mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ’Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the other commandments and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments."
I have adapted this message from a fellow pastor whose name is Christ Conrad. My messages I give have help from people I read after and can use to help the church and me. One person I heard preach once said his message was original and the General Superintendent of that conference said nothing was original except sin and that was not original with us either. I am just the messenger of what God wants to speak to His people.
I would like for us to se that these two great statements by Jesus is the commission to His church today. We are to go, we are to love and we are to remember that Jesus is with us all the time. Elton Trueblood, “Evangelism is not a professional job for a few trained men, but is instead the unrelenting responsibility of every person who belongs to the company of Jesus.”
A preacher tells the story of being behind the wheel of a real NASCAR car. He could go 100+ around the track. On the first two laps, he felt very ill at ease that he might crack the car into the wall. As he drove on, he became more comfortable and it became sensation of an outright thrill. It was a thrill and it even came across his mind that he did not have to pay for this thrill.