Summary: If a non-contingent, uncaused by anything else, self-sufficient, self-reliant, all-powerful, intelligent, always existing, unique, good & moral God who loves us, were to write a book – what kind of book would it be… (week 1 of series)
We Can Trust The Bible
OKAY - I want to start of the morning by reading several passages of Scripture that all have a common focus that will become obvious pretty quickly.
Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
– Ps 119:89
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
– Ps 119:105
The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. I open my mouth and pant, longing for your commands. – Psalm 119:130,131
As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. – Isaiah 55:10,11
And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe. – 1 Thessalonians 2:13
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work. – 2 Timothy 3:16,17
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. – Hebrews 4:12
All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you. – 1 Peter 1:24,25
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit… - 2 Peter 1:20,21
THIS MORNING – we are kicking off a new series that I am extremely pumped up about called, ‘Understanding The Bible.’
Understanding this book that…
• Is eternal
• Stands firm in the heavens
• Gives us light and understanding
• Comes from the mouth of God accomplishing what He desires and achieving his purposes
• Is at work in those who believe
• Corrects us when we are wrong – teaches us to do what is right – and prepares and equips us for ever good work
• Alive and active – sharper than a double edged sword and that judges the thoughts and attitudes of our heart.
• Will stand and endure forever
• Was written by men who spoke for God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
• Is not just ink on paper
• Is not just another book
YES – for a few weeks we are going to have several conversations about understanding the bible.
NOW - it seems like today, that everyone has an opinion about the bible…
SOME – say that the bible is a pack of lies, stories made up by men - that simply meets the needs of weak-minded people.
AND OTHERS – say that this book is God-breathed and is the hope of the world…
• What do you think about this book?
• Do you believe that it is true – that it is from God?
• How seriously do you take it in your life?
• Is it just nice to have around or do you read?
• Do you follow it’s teachings?
• Is it a guide - a compass for how you live?
• Do you understand it?
• Do you find it kind of intimidating?
• Would you like to understand it or understand better?
OKAY – here are the conversations we will be having beginning today…
• We Can Trust The Bible
• The Story Of The Bible
• How We Got The Bible
• Principles For Seeing The Bible In HD
IF - God exists
IF – a non-contingent, uncaused by anything else, self-sufficient, self-reliant, all-powerful, intelligent, always existing, unique, good & moral God who loves us, were to write a book – what kind of book would it be?
WELL - I think among other things a book written by God would be…