Summary: The sermon shares the importance of the rope to a mountain climber compared to the importance of the Holy Spirit to the redeemed.
WE Need the Rope John 14;18-31
When Doubt Sets In
Years ago I read something rather odd: "The reason mountain climbers are tied together is to keep the sane ones from going home." Whoever said that was playing with us a bit, for we know. But there's another piece of truth here.
The life of faith can be like that-doubts set in, despair overwhelms us, and the whole notion of believing in God seems crazy. Jesus knew his disciples would have days like that. So he told them we're tied together like branches on the vine-or like climbers tied to the rope-tied together by the Spirit, to trust in one who is always more than we can understand, to keep us moving ahead on the journey of faith, to encourage us when believing seems absurd. "I will not leave you orphaned," said Jesus. "I am coming to you."
Barbara K. Lundblad, I Will Not Leave You Orphaned
Every Mountain Climber has a Rope. The Rope Keeps the Climber from being Separated, Stops the Fall, mountain climbers are tied together to keep from getting lost or going over a cliff and some climbers say the rope is for the Zane Ones so they will not go Home. When things get tough up on the mountain, when fear sets in, many a climber is tempted to say, "This is crazy! I'm going home."
1. Mountain Climbers Know the Rope is a Great Factor without it they would perish Jesus claims the
Holy Spirit is a Great Factor
• First of all He begins by claiming the Holy Spirit is with you for how long forever. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever-- 17the Spirit of truth Remember God proclaimed I will never leave you or forsake you
• Paul believes the Holy Spirit is a great Factor this Spirit Marks Us and Seals Us , you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 sealed until the Day of redemption , who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory As a result of this . 31 we Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
• This Spirit is a great factor the Spirit teaches You 26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things
• The Spirit is a great factor The spirit Reminds us and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
Isaiah claims this Spirit is like a Voice That Reminds Isaiah 30: 21Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."
• The Holy Spirit is a Great Factor without the Spirit we will perish -- "If so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. Romans 8:9
2. Mountain Climbers need the Rope so they will not get or be separated God gives us the Holy Spirit so
we will never be separated from God
18I will not leave you as orphans
• Probabilities that may separate us from God tribulation, distress (anguish), persecution, famine, nakedness, peril (danger), and sword. "Nay, For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:37-39
3. Mountain Climbers claim the Rope makes all the difference in the world and so does the Spirit
Here is what the rope or spirit is the "BUT" with the exception of, however, on the other hand, nevertheless,
• The Rope or the Spirit. 26But the Counselor, or Holy Spirit changes our outlook on Life
• The Rope or the Spirit. 26But the Counselor, changes us to a different People
• The Rope or the Spirit. 26But the Counselor Changes us because He now lives In us
4. The Mountain Climbers believe The Rope is a Factor that gives them Peace Jesus says, 27Peace I leave with
you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives.
A. Peace is the defined as absence of Conflict
B. The writer believes Peace is not the Absence of something but the presence of the Living God. 27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
C. Peace becomes the presence of I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me