Summary: Crises happens to test our faith.
WE WILL GO TO THE OTHER SIDE!
By OSCAR P. LOPEZ JR.
PROPOSITION: CRISES IS CHRIST’S TEST TO THE FAITH OF CHRISTIANS
A. CRISIS – “Dangerous or difficult situation.”
1. World Crisis
2. Philippine Crisis
3. Personal Crisis.
* In times of crisis, I believe, fear is normal. We have the tendency to be afraid in front of a difficult situation. Some Filipinos are fearful of going to the US. Vice versa, Americans are warned of their stay in the Philippines to take extra careful because of kidnappings in the South. Fear is so eminent in times of crisis.
B. FAITHFULNESS – “Loyal and trustworthy.”
1. Theme/ Text/ Proposition
2. Question: “How are you going to be faithful if you are in a crisis?”
3. Transition: “Crisis is a test. We now look to the lesson Christ did to His disciples in the middle of a storm.”
WHY SHOULD WE NOT LOOSE FAITH
IN THE MIDDLE OF A CRISIS?
We must continue faithful in the middle of crisis because…
I WE HAVE THE PROMISE OF JESUS.
1. Background info.
2. The Promise: “Let us go over to the other side.”
3. The Storm: This was a great storm because even experienced fishermen became afraid. It is not unusual to encounter an unexpected storm in the Sea of Galilee.
4. The Fear: It’s a good thing the disciples knew whom to call in times of crisis. Yet, they were rebuked by Jesus because they did not hold onto what He said before they set sail. “LET US GO OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE.”
5. Jesus did promise going to other side but He did not say it would be easy going to the other side.
6. The rebuke: “Little faith!” In the same way, Jesus was telling them, “You have my promise. We will go to other side. Whatever storm we may encounter we will go to other side. You should have not loose faith. Just continue sailing.”
“Favorite promise of Christians”- “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
I believe every Christian do hold onto this promise. Especially when the going gets rough.
But the sad part is that when it seems the storm is to strong to bear-we stumble.
In times of crisis…
1. Trust Jesus. He never fails.
2. Read more of His Word-the Bible. Thousands of promises are scribbled in it.
3. Continue sailing.
II WE HAVE THE PRESENCE OF JESUS.
1. Background Info
2. WHO WAS WITH THEM? They have seen His miracles, they have heard His words and they have personally experienced Jesus.
3. The Fear: When in fear, call on to Jesus. That’s right! But when you have Jesus, there’s no reason to be afraid. This is the Best!
4. The disciples have the mighty presence of Jesus in person. Yet they became afraid of the storm.
5. Normal, but Jesus rebuked them. To us Christians, it’s abnormal to be afraid. “You of little faith!” Jesus was putting their faith to the test. And they failed the test.
6. Jesus was saying to them, “Never loose faith, whatever storm we encounter. You have my promise. It will never fail. And YOU HAVE ME WITH YOU INSIDE THE BOAT!”
“Jesus is with you inside your boat”
Your boat maybe your family, your studies, your business, your church and other areas of your life. You will definitely experience storm in the middle of the sea. But you should remember Jesus is with you inside your boat.
IN times of crisis…
1. Remember that you are not alone. Jesus is with you.
2. Be of good courage. The Almighty God is with you.
3. Overcome fear by acknowledging the presence of Jesus. (cf. Romans 8:28)
III WE HAVE THE PEACE OF JESUS.
1. Background Info.
2. WHY WAS JESUS SLEEPING? In the first place, He needed it. After a series of doing miracles and speaking His words to the so many a crowd, who won’t need a rest. But why is He sleeping in the middle of an emergency? Does He not know that there will be a storm? He knows! That’s why He is at peace at the back of the boat taking a nap. He knows that whatever storm will come, THEY WILL GO TO OTHER SIDE.
3. THE SLEEP: Jesus was setting an example to His disciples. “BE AT PEACE! As I promised we will go to other side. You have me in this boat we will go to other side. Can’t you see I’m sleeping in the middle of the storm? Be at peace! We will go to other side.”
4. Jesus was sleeping not because He has forsaken them. He was sleeping because He wanted them to know that there is nothing to worry. EVERYTHING IS UNDER CONTROL!