Summary: Paul says , "the Israelites were under the cloud of Gods leadership, under the cloud of Gods Provisional Plan, Under the cloud of Gods Redemptive Plan, and under the Cloud of Gods Justice". If they are under the cloud then so are we.
“Were Living Under The Cloud” 1 Corinthians 10:1-13
• Cloud refers " to a covering," clouds cover the sky. The word is used as a symbol of the Divine presence,
• Jehovah came down upon Sinai in a dense or thick cloud
• At the dedication of the temple also the cloud "filled the house of the Lord" ( 1 Kings 8:10 ).
• When Christ comes the second time he is described as coming "in the clouds"
• The Pillar of Cloud, was the glory-cloud which indicated God's presence leading the ransomed people
• This pillar preceded the people as they marched, resting on the ark By night it became a pillar of fire
1. Paul begins by saying the forefathers were Under The Cloud
• 101For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud
• Under the Cloud refers to God's leadership and guidance (Ex 13:21-22;. 21By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. God leads in paths of righteousness
2. Paul continues to say they were Under the Cloud of Gods Redemptive Program
• 2They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea.
• They submitted to Moses as God’s appointed Leader Exodus 14 31And when the Israelites saw the great power the LORD displayed against the Egyptians, the people feared the LORD and put their trust in him and in Moses his servant.
• They were Baptized into Moses baptized. A figure used to portray their submission to Moses as their deliverer and leader, just as Christian baptism portrays the believer's submission to Christ as Savior and Lord
3. Paul claims they were also under the Cloud of Gods Provisional Plan
• 3They all ate the same spiritual food 4and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.
• The manna and the water are used as figures representing the spiritual sustenance that God continually provides for his people
• God Provides because we are under the Cloud In Ex 16:2-36; God allowed the sky’s to open with rains of Bread from Heaven
• God Provides because we are under The Cloud 17:1-7 at the Camp of Rephidim there was no water , but God allowed the rock to produce water ;
• God Provided the Christ, the bread of life John 6 :35Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.
• God Provided the Christ the water of life John 4:13Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.":
4. They were Living Under The Cloud of Gods Justice
• 5Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them; their bodies were scattered over the desert.