Summary: PROPOSITION: Because Christ is the source of all life, you must worship Him even during periods of great suffering.
What About Suffering?
PROPOSITION: Because Christ is the source of all life, you must worship Him even during periods of great suffering.
I. Submit to God’s specific purpose for your suffering!
A. Know that even the righteous will suffer (1-12).
1. Pursuing God doesn’t prevent suffering (1-5).
2. God is allowing but not causing the suffering (6-12).
B. Know that the Righteous One also suffered (Is 53:3-5).
1. Christ pursued the righteous will of His Father (Is 53:10).
2. The Father allowed Christ to suffer for a purpose (12).
II. Surrender to God’s sovereign rule through your suffering!
A. God has control over all the events in the universe.
1. He will not always remove suffering from your path.
2. He will always be with you through your suffering.
B. God has providential boundaries on the extent of your suffering (12-19).
1. He will not give you more than you can handle.
2. He will always make sufficient grace available.
III. Salute God’s goodness through your suffering!
A. Job acknowledged God’s greatness in his suffering (20-21).
1. Job’s first action is humble worship (20).
2. Job’s first statements are exalting praise (21).
B. Job surrendered to God’s will through his suffering (22).
1. Job chose not to sin.
2. Job chose not to accuse God falsely.