Summary: It’s so good for us to cultivate a heart for the lost!
1. It’s so good for us to cultivate a heart for the lost! (See Mark)
NOTE: The heart of Jesus becomes our heart, our passion, our desire to see those around us come to know Jesus personally!
• We realize don’t we, that God sent someone into our lives!
• How thankful we are!
• Remember one of the first instructions Jesus gives his disciples is found in Matthew 28:19-20
APP: Christianity is a MISSIONARY faith.
• We have a message and that message is to be shared!
• It’s been said that a church, a believer that does not EVANGELIZE will soon FOSSILIZE!
• It’s not just a calling or command, it’s who we are!
• That’s how you heard, received, believed. (Win-Disciple-Send)
#1 - GO THEREFORE.
• Therefore is an interesting word tying this Great Commission to the appearance of Jesus Christ after His resurrection.
• Because I’m alive. Because I’m who I said I was. Because I’ve conquered death. Because I’m alive forever more!… GO
NOTE: The word “GO” is actually not the command in this passage.
• In the GK it is “GOING”. The command is “MAKE DISCIPLES”.
• So, “WHILE YOU ARE GOING, make disciples.”
• While you’re out there. While your shining your light, flavoring your area… make disciples. Share, pray, help, love.
NOW: A disciple is a ‘learner’. More than just a believer, a disciple is one who is disciplined in the faith.
• A disciple was deeply connected to his teacher. He learned from him and even sometimes lived & worked alongside of him.
#3 - THEN BAPTIZE those disciples.
• Water baptism is such a powerful statement.
• Water baptism is a powerful event in the believer’s life.
• First it’s an outward sign to those watching of the work of God’s Spirit in their life.
• Also it’s an inward sign of obedience as a disciple commits their life publicly to the One that saved them!
#4 - TEACHING THEM
• Every believer is a teacher. Each one of you has been empowered and equipped to teach.
• Isn’t that great? You have something to share, to impart!
• TEACH THEM TO OBSERVE… teach them to obey.
So we open the Letter addressed to the Roman Christians and right away Paul begins to preach the gospel!
• He lays out carefully for us that we are all guilty.
• He begins with the unbeliever, then the moral person, then the religious person, and ends in 3:23…
NOW there is a lot of resistance to the gospel, for sure.
• I know you’ve come up against some of it…
• I don’t believe in the Bible! (I don’t need God.)
• No such thing as God. (I believe everyone goes to heaven)
• You don’t believe in Noah do you? Adam & Eve?
• Well we’ve learned that the answer to those questions goes back to Jesus Christ. He believed and taught us so…
V20-21 here answer a question that is very common…
• What about those who have never heard? OR
• What about the pygmies in the deep dark jungle? (vv16-21)
I. (1:20) WITHOUT EXCUSE
1. The Revelation of God.
a. We’re so thankful God has chosen to reveal Himself to us.
1 John 1:5 (NKJV) 5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.