Summary: So what happened with Adam and Eve in the Garden?
1. Imagine a time when sin doesn’t exist. Wouldn’t that be great!
• A time really, of perfection and beauty.
• No sin. No sinful nature directing to sin. No flesh/spirit struggle.
• Everything is just perfect, exactly as it was meant to be!
• Immediately we think forward don’t we?
1 John 3:1-2 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
NOTE: Oh Wow, Ed, I can’t wait for the heavenly scene!
• It’s going to be wonderful and simply unbelievable.
• But today, I want you THINK BACKWARD for a moment.
• To a place in time called the Garden of Eden…
• Let’s flip back to Genesis 3:1ff
When God created man, He created man ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.
Genesis 1:31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
• He places both Adam & Eve in a PERFECT GARDEN to live a PERFECT LIFE in harmony & fellowship with Him.
• Entered into a PERFECT WORLD with no sin, no sinful nature!
NOW BEFORE WE GO ANY FURTHER…
• I realize there might be some listening in, either here or via radio or CD or on the internet that have just put up a wall.
• It’s a common wall, a usual argument that has been spread throughout our world to undermine the credibility of the Bible.
• Here’s it is: Come on Pastor you don’t believe in a literal Adam & Eve do you? A literal Garden? A literal devil?
• Science has proven that story to be an allegory. It’s a fairy tale!
• Listen… I believe the story of Adam & Eve is literal, that they were real human beings, living in a real place, tempted by a real devil, helped by the real grace of a REAL GOD.
The issue is actually very simple… it’s not a battle with the Bible but rather a battle with Jesus. He believed in a literal Adam & Eve:
Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’
SO what happened with Adam & Eve in the Garden?
• They were tempted… and they sinned!
• They willingly rebelled against the Word of God!
• It was in that very moment of sin that Adam plunged the entire human race into a serious of long-lasting consequences!
• Let’s LOOK NOW AT Romans 5:12ff.
• Adam’s sin brought devastating damage to every human being to ever walk the face of the earth. Why?
Because Adam was our representative… standing in the place of humanity. Some have referred to this as bring our Federal head.
It’s much the same as when you and I vote. We vote for who?
• Someone to represent us, to speak out for us…
• Of course those we vote for don’t always act as we would want.
• Well, Adam was a perfect representative of human beings.
• When he sinned, it was just as A man, but as THE man.
• Really, Adam was OUR man… So when he sinned, we sinned.
NOW SOME SAY, “That’s not fair for God condemn the whole world just because of one man’s disobedience.”