Summary: What am I to God? I am God’s Holy Temple More literal: I am the container of God’s holy presence.
Eden Wesleyan Church
January 6, 2001 AM Worship
What Am I To God?
1st Corinthians 3:16-17
What am I to God? I am God’s Holy Temple
More literal: I am the container of God’s holy presence.
Read 1st Corinthians 3:16-17
What is the temple of God?
1. A place of worship.
a. God’s presence interacts with the presence of man.
2. A place of sacrifice.
a. The only way that the purity of God’s presence can be together with the impurity of man’s sin is the brokenness of sacrifice.
3. A place of change
a. You can never enter the presence of God and leave the same way that you came.
To think that God’s presence can come and interact with man is awesome!
Prior to Christ—prior to grace—where was the presence of God??
God’s presence was in the tabernacle or the temple. But more specifically it was on the Ark of the Covenant.
What was the ark?
· First item given to Moses in the instructions for building the tabernacle.
· Not that big—about 4’ long and 2 feet wide and high
· What is the cover of the ark called?
o The “atonement cover” NIV or the “mercy seat” KJ
· The primary purpose of the presence of God encountering the presence of man was to restore mankind’s relationship to God. Not to show judgment, but rather to show mercy.
How was the ark to be handled?
· Verses 12-15
· Poles were fitted into rings that the priest would use to transport the ark.
· We remember vividly the story of the servant of David, Uzzah, who reached out and touched the ark when it was being transported improperly and died for his actions. 2nd Samuel 6
· The ark was certainly an item for which the people of Isael showed great respect.
· How about you?? If some archeologist found the ark, would you be willing to reach our and lay hands on the ark?
What is in the ark?
· Note verses 16 & 21 The “Testimony”
· The Bible teaches that the ark is associated with three items.
o The Ten Commandments
o A jar of manna
o Aaron’s rod that budded
· These things were in the ark for a “testimony” of the power of God at work among his people.
The tabernacle that Moses was given instructions to build and especially the Ark of the Covenant are given to us to show us a picture of God—to show us his presence.
What do these thing say to us??
The articles of the ark represent 3 things in our life about God.
1. The Ten Commandments are a picture of GOD’S POSITION
A. God is a Holy, Holy, Holy God!
a. In order to understand darkness, you must understand light.
b. In order to comprehend black, you must comprehend white.
B. These were not 10 suggestions, but 10 commands. God wants us to live holy lives before him.
God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
1st John 1:5-7
C. Our world today wants to compare our holiness to those who are worse than we are. But God says that he compares our holiness to himself—his perfect holiness.
2. The Manna—GOD’S PROVISION
A. A picture of the provision of God. The children of Israel were in the wilderness with no means of supporting themselves and God provided for them
B. He is Jehovah-Jireh—my provider.
3. Aaron’s Rod—GOD’S POWER
A. Read Numbers 17:1-12
B. God called Aaron from among his people.
C. It was God who did the calling
D. God’s power was more than abundant—the rod not only budded but bore almonds as fruit.
· The ark provided a place of God’s presence among His people.
· When the Israelites went into battle, they took this ark and God’s presence was with them and they were greatly victorious.
· It was an incredible place of blessing.
Many have wondered where the Ark of the Covenant is today. They would love to find this “holy box” because of its seemingly magical powers.
What would it be like to be able to be near the Ark today?
Wouldn’t it be great to breathe the air around it?
Take a deep breath…You just did! You see, the ark is in you!
WHAT AM I TO GOD?
1. I am the dwelling place of God’s presence.
A. No one has to worship for me! I am a place of worship