Summary: The story of Zacchaeus demonstrates three clear aspects of an authentic conversion.
WHAT AN AUTHENTIC CONVERSION LOOKS LIKE
Text: Luke 19:1 – 10
· Story of Zacchaeus demonstrates three clear aspects of authentic conversion
A. You must successfully overcome the barriers keeping you from Christ
1. Means of wealth (v. 2)
· Discuss Zacchaeus’ job
· Authentic conversion would mean all this would change
2. Stature (v. 3)
· Might have been less than 5’ tall
· Remedy for this problem (v. 4)
· Every one of us has barriers
· Have to overcome these obstacles to have a relationship with Christ
B. Jesus must intersect your life in some fashion
· Can’t be converted unless you somehow are invited by Jesus
· Zacchaeus (v. 5)
1. Jesus knew his name (v. 5)
· Jesus loved him in spite of his sin
· Jesus knows your name, and all about your sins, but still loves you
2. This meeting was not by chance
· I “must” abide (v. 5)
· Greek word = necessity
· Jesus had to meet Zacchaeus if he was going to be converted
· Jesus was on his way to the cross, but He still had time to stop for Zacchaeus
· We all lead busy lives
· When given an opportunity, realize that it might be a divine “must” and respond (v. 6)
C. Your life must be radically changed
· Jesus changed him from the inside out (was a sinner…now a saint) (v. 7)
· Promised half of what he owned to the poor (was greedy…now generous) (v. 8)
· Restitution according to OT laws (v. 8)
· Would cost him a bundle!
· Jesus (v.9)
· Problem today – religion without changed lives
· When Jesus saves sinners, they stop drinking, stop lying, stop sleeping around, stop filling their minds and hearts with immoral things, stop cursing, stop stealing
· When Jesus saves sinners they begin a lifelong journey to become like Him
· (v. 10)
· What barriers are keeping you from Christ?
· Is Jesus passing your way today and offering salvation?
· Are you willing to let Him change you from the inside out, holding nothing back?