Summary: It is the task of the Church to carry the Gospel to the 4 corners of the globe. We should be unashamed in following the command of Jesus!
What are you ashamed of?
Shady Grove Baptist Church
When was the last time you shared your faith? Not when was the last time you invited someone to Church, or to hear your Pastor speak, but when was the last time you told someone about Jesus?
“The 2 greatest times of member participation in a Baptist Church is when a Pastor leaves and when a new Pastor comes in.”
• I am in my 3rd Pastorate, and I have found that there is a honeymoon period where people will come and check out the new preacher, some can be gained during this period, some you’ll never see again.
• I have been at New Bethel for almost three years, the honeymoon period is probably over.
• Why do we see this up and down pattern?
• 86% of Southern Baptist Churches have less than 100 in attendance each Sunday, that is the backbone of our convention, most of these Churches are bivocational
• The average stay of a Pastor at a Baptist Church is 18 months!!!
• Bill Faye, author of "Sharing Jesus without Fear," notes that Americans have found a new way to deny Christ: "It’s by keeping silent about him." Fay asked, "Do we really believe it when Jesus said that unless a person is saved, he’s damned?" And if we do, he asked, "How do we allow our people to stay In the sin of silence?" What excuse will Christians give at the judgment? he questioned. "I’m in terror for us that we will be humbled to the dirt because of our pitiful witness." Furthermore, he warned, "[I]f you and your people, individually and collectively do not evangelize, you will fossilize."
Our witness has got to extend beyond just inviting people to a Church that is up and down in attendance, or hear the Pastor who may only be there for 18 months. It has to be rooted in something concrete, unchanging, powerful, it can only be effective when it’s about Jesus!!!!
The Greatest need in the Church today is for believers to fall in love, not with the Church, but with Jesus Christ!!
Repeat with me Romans 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”
Notice with me 5 things that the Apostle Paul points out concerning the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
I. It is Personal. Vrs 16 “I” Paul did not delegate his witness to someone else. Sure Brother George should do the work of the Evangelist, but he is not the only witness that Shady Grove has, if you are born again you’ve got a testimony to share!!! The world is looking for a tangible witness, not a trained witness. They have heard the canned presentations and endured enough acrostics to make anyone sick! They are looking for a personal Gospel shared on a personal level, and who better than you to share it with them?
II. It is Presentable. Vrs 16 “..am not ashamed…” The Gospel is not an heirloom treasure to be placed on a shelf and enjoyed by a select few! It is to be shared with a dying world! I Peter 3:15 “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear; Jude 22-23 “And of some have compassion, making a difference: others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. Romans 10:8-10 “But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” The Gospel is not some mystical force entrusted to a sacred few. It is God’s plan of redemption available to all, and it is to be shared by those that experience it.