Summary: The sermon shares what Jesus and the woman at the well talked about.
What did they talk about? John 4:1-31 Consider the conversations In todays text.
1. First he talked to his disciples about going to Samaria he said , " I must needs go through Samaria ."
• I think he saying I must be on mission for the son of man came to seek and save that which is lost.
• He is also saying I have to go, so I lay down the hindering’s such as prejudices, hatred, jealousness,
• Jesus is saying I must go because God is willing to save whosoever she's worth saving. The woman.
2. Second he talked to Samaritan Woman she could not figure out why was he talking to her
• How is it that thou , being a Jew , asks drink of me , which am a woman of Samaria ? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans .
• We may wonder why Jesus talks to us but he has a purpose.
3. What did they talk about? He talked to the woman about wells
• He talked about water, but not just water, living water. Jesus said, If thou knewest the gift of God he would have given thee living water. The Living water is The Holy Spirit
• Living Water or Holy Spirit is like a fountain Joel says there is a fountain that comes from The Lord.
• Zachariah makes claim to the fact that a fountain is open In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.
4. He talked about Forgiveness or forgiving her guilt
• Proverbs say the way of the transgressors is hard. She had much guilt She endured guilt every day that is why she came at the sixth hour or noon to draw water, her heart was in constant turmoil, She was awakened to her need
5. Jesus talked to her about a Thirst Quencher 13Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will thirst again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give will become a spring of water welling up to eternal life." 15The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water so that I won't get thirsty
If you thirst for forgiveness I can forgive your sin says Jesus
If you thirst for deliverance then come see the salvation of the lord
If you will thirst 1As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. He will quench your thirsty soul.
4. V. 20-24 He talked about Worship -
• He told her you don't know what you worship, wow do we? Jesus saith unto her , Woman , believe me , the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain , nor yet at Jerusalem , worship the Father . Ye worship ye know not what
• He talks about where to worship . Worship is not in ritual or form, worship is not in location such as Jacobs well the prestigious places, worship is not in prayers they honor me with their lips but their hearts are from me.
• Jesus says true worshipers will worship God in spirit and in truth. It is a willingness and desire to worship as a result of an In dwelling of the Spirit.
5. He talked to her now she talks about him
• Jesus reveals he is messiah and she says I believe
• Jesus give invitation she says yes lord and is recreated instantly The conversation seems to end abruptly, she The woman then left her water pot , and went her way into the city , and saith to the men , Come , see a man , which told me all things that ever I did : is not this the Christ ?
• Have you a shady past Jesus wants to talk to us He wants to talk to us about Forgiveness, Mercy and grace.
• She talked about a God who was able to quench her soul Psalm 63:1O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you,
• She talked about The Lord who was able to quench her soul with out cost Isaiah said, "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.
• She talked about a Man who could quench the whoever is thirsty. 17The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.