Summary: You know more than you think. John gives us 3 simple things to know that will help our faith grow
• I have enjoyed our journey through the book of John. I hope this book both challenged and encouraged you in your walk with Jesus.
• I believe there are times when we can get overwhelmed by all the things we should and need to know concerning our faith.
• We can get so overwhelmed that we sometimes do not know where to begin.
• I believe many people struggle in their walk with Jesus because they do think they know enough to get started.
• As we finish our series in 1 John I want to give you some encouragement.
• You do not have to be a biblical scholar to be able to live for Jesus. You need to start somewhere.
• It is my belief that as a person starts to develop a relationship with Jesus; they will want to get to know Him better. It is like when you meet a person that you think you like, you want to get to know them on a deeper level than just thinking they are hot.
• As I started, you do not need to be a scholar to walk with Jesus.
• SLIDE #1
• The title to the message this morning is “WHAT DO YOU KNOW!”
• I want us to see that we indeed know enough to begin our journey with Jesus. We know more than we think we know. WE know enough to start to develop the relationship with Jesus that deep down we all want.
• Today I am going to share with you three things John gives to us that if we know, we will be able to develop a great relationship with Jesus.
• I do not want to minimize the importance of Biblical knowledge.
• Biblical illiteracy is a BIG problem in the church today. There is a lot people do not know and the reason for that is because of a lack of effort on our part to take the time to read and study God’s word.
• Once again if you want to really start to grow in your relationship with Jesus, getting to know Him is one of the keys to seeing that happen. Bible Fellowship is a great place to start!
• When we feel like we do not know much about a subject we can feel overwhelmed to the point of not even wanting to try.
• Today I want you to see that you know more than you think. If you know the three things John shares with us today, you will well on your way to developing a great rewarding relationship with Jesus! SLIDE #2-3
• Let’s look at 1 John 5:18-20 together this morning. READ
We know that:
I. CHRISTIANS ARE NOT TO PRACTICE SIN (18)
1. Practicing sin is not what God’s family is about.
• WE do not have to have a Bible College degree to understand this simple principle.
• When you are a part of God’s family, we need to understand that practicing sin is not what being in God’s family is about.
• I have stated on numerous occasions that as long as we live on this earth we will struggle with sin. Each of us have battles we fight whether they are sins that can be seen such as immorality or the inward sins of jealousy and pride.
• What we must be careful of just excusing our sin because we are “only human.”
• In each family we have expectation for one another. My children have always known that certain things are not acceptable things to do for a person who is in our family.
• If you understand that Christians are not to practice sin you will find yourself being more aware of the sin around you and you will get start to fight it off more and more.
• I see too many people who excuse their sin. I have dealt with people who have made conscious decisions to sin. They refused to change. I have made those choices also.
• When we start to be aware that God does not want us to sin it will help us to resist.
• Sin literally means to “miss the mark.” God sets a standard for us and when we fall short of that standard it is sin.
• We also need to understand something concerning being in God’s family.
2. The God Father provides protection for His family.
• Since we are in God’s family, God our father offers us protection.
• I could not resist the God Father thing based on my heritage.
• Verse 18 tells us that He who was born of God keeps him and the evil one does not touch him. This speaks of Jesus. God sent us a protector Jesus!