Summary: Has anyone ever asked you what it means to be born again? Has anyone ever asked you what it means to be saved? Today we are going to answer those questions in our first message of the series “Foundations of Faith”.
• Has anyone ever asked you what it means to be born again?
• Has anyone ever asked you what it means to be saved?
• Today we are going to answer those questions in our first message of the series “Foundations of Faith”.
I. You Must be Born Again
A. Nicodemus came to Jesus under cover of darkness.
1. Jesus and His disciples had been living in such a way that even the “Masters (procurators of the Law)” were curious about His wisdom, teachings and power.
B. Except you are born again you cannot “see” the Kingdom of God. - John 3:3
1. To see would also mean to understand (God’s ways of doing things).
2. To the natural man the things of God seem foolish.
C. Born of Water and of the Spirit - John 3:5-6
1. Water - Physical birth
2. Spirit - Natural birth
D. Jesus told him, “Marvel not…” - John 3:7-8
1. Surely Nicodemus remembered that the prophets foretold of a coming Messiah… He is Here!
2. Don’t try to figure out the Supernatural with the Natural. - There are a lot of things that will happen “spiritually” that we will never understand until we get to heaven.
II. To be Born Again Signifies a New Beginning!
A. God is into reconciliation. - 2 Corinthians 5:17-21
1. Reconcile - To conciliate anew; to call back into union and friendship the affections which have been alienated; to restore to friendship or favor after estrangement; - Websters
a) Sin estranged (withdraw; keep at a distance - Websters) man from God.
b) Calvary mitigated the estrangement and through the Blood of Jesus man was reconciled back to God! (brought back into fellowship)
2. Born again people are used of God to bring reconciliation to the lost. - 2 Corinthians 5:18
3. God has a Global Focus for reconciliation. - 2 Corinthians 5:19
a) God has called us to be ambassadors working in the Kingdom of God.
b) Our assignment is to carry the message to the King of Kings and convey His message back to the people!
c) We are emissaries of the truths of God’s Word to the world.
B. If any man is in Christ he is a “New Creature!” - 2 Corinthians 5:17
1. “Old things are passed away… all things are become new”. - Born Again!
2. God makes us righteous. - 2 Corinthians 5:21
III. How Can I be Born Again?
A. Accept - that you are a sinner and you need God in your life. - Romans 3:23
1. Some already know this and others are to proud to admit it. - Be discerning and allow God to use you respectively. - 1 John 1:8-9
2. Understand that there is a price for continuing in sin but where sin abounded, grace did much more abound! - Romans 6:23
3. Romans 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
B. Believe - that Jesus is the Son of God and that He died for you, rose again and is now in heaven praying to your Heavenly Father on your behalf.
1. John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
C. Confess - that Jesus is the Lord of your life. - Romans 10:9-10
1. At the name of Jesus every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.
• If you left here and died today, where would you spend eternity?
• If Jesus came RIGHT NOW! Where would you spend eternity?