Summary: Thirty-one things Jesus wants us to do even though they do not come naturally.
I John 2:6 - "The one who says he abides in Him ought to walk in a manner in which He Himself once walked."
Quote: "If you really want to know the will of God for your life follow the footsteps of Jesus." (Bingham Hunter, Trinity International University)
Illustration: As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him. --Colossians 2:6
Walking is just one step away from falling. That’s why venturing out on two unsteady legs can be frightening to a very young child. Yet children keep at it until walking becomes second nature.
This is similar to learning to "walk" as a Christian. We put our faith into practice one step at a time. Pastor and author F. B. Meyer explains, "We received Jesus into our hearts by faith. . . . In the same manner we must live always and everywhere, receiving from Him, by faith, grace upon grace, and allowing what He works in to work out in all manner of godliness, tenderness, and Christlikeness. This practice of looking to Jesus for grace in every circumstance of life tends to become more and more habitual."
Paul urged believers to live by faith so they would become firmly established in their walk with Christ (Col. 2:6-7). We do that by focusing our thoughts on Him: what He has done, what He is doing now, and what He will do for us. We take a risk by depending completely on Him, obeying His commands, and putting His teaching into practice.
Walking with Christ may sometimes be frightening, but it is the only way to make progress in our spiritual development. Are you walking with Him today? (Our Daily Bread)
1. Jesus wants us to apologize and seek forgiveness both from God and from those we have sinned against through His power. (Mt. 5:23,24)
2. Jesus wants us to withstand criticism, false accusations, and misunderstandings for His purposes with His support. (Mt. 5:11,12)
3. Jesus wants us to humble ourselves under the mighty hand of God’s plans, power and perspectives with His Spirit. (Jn 16:13)
4. Jesus wants us to love other people as He loves us with His agape. (John 13:34,35 & I Cor. 13:4-7)
5. Jesus wants us to not give into the temptation to take revenge on those who hurt us because of His gracious forgiveness. (Matt. 6:12,13)
6. Jesus wants us to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness even during times of anxiety, shortage of provision and hardship with His faith. (Matt. 6:33,34)
7. Jesus wants us to discipline ourselves for the purpose of godliness even when we feel discouraged, frustrated or emotionally spent with His Spirit’s promises. (2 Tim. 1:7)
8. Jesus wants us to give generously to help fulfill His great commission (Mt. 28:18-20) even when we are unsure of our financial security because of His promises to provide. (Phil 4:19)
9. Jesus wants us to confess our sins of commission, omission, disposition and wrong assumptions to be cleansed of all unrighteousness. (I John 1:9)
10. Jesus wants us to serve others with a humble mind looking not just for our own interests but for the concerns of others with His attitude. (Phil. 2:1-5)
11. Jesus wants us to be courageous in the midst of attacks with His strength. (John 16:33)
12. Jesus wants us to avoid being resentful, jealous, bitter or angry because of His resilience. (Heb. 12:1-3)
13. Jesus wants us to follow God’s priorities rather than our own because He said, "Not as I will, but let Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.""(Mt. 6:10)
14. Jesus wants us to live a balanced Godly life as He resisted all tendencies of extremism with the Spirit’s guidance. (Jn 14:26,27)
15. Jesus wants us to persevere even when we are tired, suffering and emotionally burned out because He empowers us. (Acts 1:8)
16. Jesus wants us to be humble in success and thankful in adversity because of His example of submission to God’s sovereignty. (Rom. 11:33-36)
17. Jesus wants us to mature in all aspects of life as He did. (Lk 2:52)
18. Jesus wants us to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him because He commanded us to. (Lk 9:23,24)
19. Jesus wants us to give of our best to God in all aspects of life because He gave 100% of Himself for the Lord’s will. (Jn.20:21)
20. Jesus wants us to trust & obey God even if we are confused because He did amidst betrayals. (Jn 15:18)
21. Jesus wants us to meditate on the word of God to achieve His success and prosperity. (Josh 1:8,9)
22. Jesus wants us to love the Lord God with ALL our heart, soul, strength and mind and our neighbor as ourselves because He commanded us to. (Luke 10:27)