Summary: This sermon is designed to teach people what they should pray about, and the growth that comes from prayer.
WHAT HAS GOD DONE?
Key Verse and Theme: “For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.” (Ephesians 1:15-16)
1. Pray for God to give the Spirit of wisdom and revelation. (Ephesians 1:17)
A. The Spirit in Ephesians is the Counselor of John 14:26.
1. The Spirit teaches. (Wisdom)
2. The Spirit reminds. (Revelation)
B. Why would Paul keep asking for the Spirit?
1. We receive the Holy Spirit at baptism.
2. We need the Holy Spirit to renew us daily.
C. The Spirit will help you know God better.
2. Pray for your heart to be opened. (Ephesians 1:18-19)
A. Pray that you may know the hope to which he has called you.
B. Pray that you may know the riches of His glorious inheritance.
C. Pray that you may know His incomparably great power.
3. Pray to understand the power of God. (Ephesians 1:20-23)
A. God has exerted his strength over death.
B. God has given Jesus a name above all other names.
C. God has placed Jesus as the head of the church.
4. How are you doing?
A. Is God teaching and reminding you through the Holy Spirit?
B. Are you asking daily to be filled by the Holy Spirit?
C. Are you confident in the hope, the riches and the power of God?
D. Are you seeking to understand the power of God?