Summary: An evangelistic message on what a Christian is, what a Christian has, and what a Christian will be.
What Is A Christian?
Acts 11:26 “And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.”
What is a Christian? – This is a question that is being asked by some people who sincerely desire to know the correct answer and become believers. It is also asked by scoffers who do not believe and do not intend to accept Christ.
What a Christian is? – What he has? – and What he will be; is not understood by the world.
1 John 3:2 “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”
In this message I want to uncover some of the marvel and miracle of what it means to be a Christian. I want to give you a 5-Fold Paradox Describing The Christian Life.
I. A Christian Is Someone Who Believes The Unbelievable.
Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”
Over and over again the Bible declares that a man became a Christian by believing on the Lord Jesus Christ. To believe on Jesus means to believe what the Bible says about Him.
1. The Virgin Birth – To a lost man this seems impossible. This is contrary to nature. Humanly speaking a woman cannot have a baby without a man.
2. Jesus Deity – It is incredible that God Almighty could become a tiny little baby. Is that little hand the hand that created the universe and holds the stars in place. – Impossible?
3. Christ’s Death – Do you believe that God would stand by helpless and silent while vile men spat upon Him and crucified His son? – Impossible? – Unbelievable?
1 Cor. 1:18 “For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.”
Faith in Jesus Christ is simply believing the unbelievable because God said it was so.
II. A Christian Is Someone Who Does The Impossible.
(Now I know about election, foreknowledge, ect. – That is God’s side of salvation. For this morning lets look at Salvation from mans side.)
1. He decides his own birth – A Christian decides the birthday of his spiritual birth
2. He chooses his own father
John 1:12 “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:”
3. He chooses his own family – According to the Bible there are two families on earth.
a. The children of the flesh – the children of the world – the children of wrath – the children of
b. The children of light – the children of the kingdom – the children of the highest – the children of
c. We are in the first family by nature – first birth
d. We are in the second family by choice – new birth
A Christian does the impossible
III. A Christian Is Someone Who Knows The Unknowable.
1 Cor. 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.