Summary: A Family is: ❶ Responsible ❷ United ❸ Determined
Clovis Chappell, a minister from a century back, used to tell the story of two paddleboats. They left Memphis about the same time, traveling down the Mississippi River to New Orleans. As they traveled side by side, sailors from one vessel made a few remarks about the snail's pace of the other. Words were exchanged. Challenges were made. And the race began. Competition became vicious as the two boats roared through the Deep South.
One boat began falling behind. Not enough fuel. There had been plenty of coal for the trip, but not enough for a race. As the boat dropped back, an enterprising young sailor took some of the ship's cargo and tossed it into the ovens. When the sailors saw that the supplies burned as well as the coal, they fueled their boat with the material they had been assigned to transport. They ended up winning the race, but burned their cargo.
God has entrusted cargo to us, too: children, spouses, friends. Our job is to do our part in seeing that this cargo reaches its destination. Yet when the program takes priority over people, people often suffer. How much cargo do we sacrifice in order to achieve the number one slot? How many people never reach the destination because of the aggressiveness of a competitive captain?
- October 12, 2011 NBC declared War on Marriage by "Celebrating the End of Marriage." author Kate Bolick, "Today marriage is an option, it's not a necessity, the way it once was." Kate continues, ""It's time to embrace new ideas about romance and family – and to acknowledge the end of 'traditional' marriage as society's highest ideal." Quoted from Atlantic magazine
- President Barack Obama announced Wednesday May 9/2012 that his "evolution" on same-sex marriage is complete. He favors allowing gay couples to marry.
- There is a war for the family
- It starts in the heart
LOOKING AT THE HEART OF JOSHUA
I. His position. Josh. 1:1 "Moses’ minister" his servant,
Joshua" Not one of the 70 elders, not a priest, not the head of a tribe or clan, just a servant!
A. Joshua Was A Man Of Initiative.
- Report on the land Num. 14
B. Joshua Was A Man Of Patience. Ex. 24:13,18;32:17
We know what happened on the mount - God spoke to Moses.
We know what happened in the camp - the people rebelled, Aaron and the elders cooperating. - Joshua waited.
C. Joshua Was A Man Of Dedication To Duty.
– Fights as Moses Prayed - Amalekites Ex 17
D. Joshua Was A Man Of Courage.
- Crossing Jorden & Jericho
E. Joshua Was A Man Of Respect. Joshua led the people in the conquest and division of the land.
Joshua outlived all his generation, - Jud 2:8 – 110 yr
What was the secret of his life?
Joshua was a man of loyalty.
Joshua greatest verse is in 24:15
❶ A Family is :----- Responsible
verse 15-"But as for ME and MY house"
Deuteronomy 6:4–9 (AV)
4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: