Summary: School shootings over the last few years
ROMANS 1:22-32 “WHAT IS BEHIND ALL THE SCHOOL SHOOTINGS?”
A) There have been 18 school shootings so far this year.
* All were not fatal shootings, nevertheless guns were fired in schools.
* Let me name a few since 1999 – Columbine HS ... Eric Harris and Dylan
Klebold killed 12 students, 1 teacher and injured 21 additional people.
B) Three more were injured while trying to escape.
* It all ended when the cowards committed suicide.
C) Virginia Tech – 12 students and 1 teacher and another six were
injured escaping from classroom windows, about 2 hours apart.
* The guy’s name was Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at VT.
* He too, at the end of the massacre committed suicide.
D) Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown Connecticut.
* 20 year old Adam Lanza shot down 23 children between the ages
of 6-7 as well as 6 staff members.
E) Prior to going to the school he shot and killed his mother
at their Newtown home.
* The police heard the final shot at 9:40 am which was Adam taking his
own life by shooting himself in the lower rear portion of his head.
F) Then just recently at Stoneman Douglas HS in Parkland Florida.
* 14 Students and 3 staff members were gunned down by 19 year old
Nikolas Cruz, and 14 others injured were taken to nearby hospitals.
G) The shooting lasted six minutes, after which Cruz dropped his
rifle on the 3rd floor of the building.
* And he left the scene by blending in with fleeing students.
* He walked to a Walmart, where he purchased a soda at its Subway restaurant.
* He then walked to a McDonald’s and lingered before leaving on foot at 3:01.
H) At about 3:40, he was stopped by a police officer in Coral Springs,
two miles from the school and taken into custody without incident.
* He was taken to a hospital emergency room with “labored breathing,”
released after 40 minutes, then booked into the Broward County Jail.
COLUMBINE HIGH SCHOOL
A) Nearly everyone in America is aware of the tragedy that took
place in Littleton, Colorado at Columbine High School.
* However, we all assume, “Well, it couldn’t happen here.”
* Sure it could happen here ... Kids in Spartanburg could do what those
two punks did and worse.
B) I believe Romans 1 speaks to the situation at Columbine and other
schools and describes many other young people today.
* It talks about “inventors of evil things,” such as pipe bombs.
* It talks about queers ... By the way, did you hear the report
that the student killers were sodomites?
C) The chapter mentions people who are disobedient to parents.
* Those parents had no idea that their kids would commit mass murder.
* And it talks about these people being “full of murder,” and that
describes them in detail.
D) What was the cause of this horrible tragedy and the horrific
tragedy at all of the other schools in America?
* This has been the subject of thousands of newspaper articles, radio and TV
talk shows and conversations of people in their daily activities.
E) As usual, I plan to give the final word on the subject.
* Well, it may not be the final word, but it will be closer to it than
what most people propose .......
* Because the final word I will offer is based upon what
“thus saith the Lord.”
(1) A DISARMED FACULTY IS PART OF THE PROBLEM
* Luke 22:36 “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse,
let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword,
let him sell his garment, and buy one.”
A) The first problem is they didn’t have God, so they were unable
to properly promote the Bible and true righteousness.
* The problem with the leaders of our country is they have become
so “wise” and so “brainy,” they demoted God.
* But God said they were fools – Psa. 14:1 “The fool hath said .......”
B) When men push God out of their minds, their minds are void
and empty of God.
* God is not in their thoughts – Tragic things happen when men reject God.
C) They didn’t have government, (the ability to maintain discipline),
so they were unable to preserve order and decency.
* They have taken discipline out of schools ... I remember when I was
in elementary school, they would blister your hand with a ruler.
* I’m in favor of putting discipline back into the schools.
D) They didn’t have guns, so they were unable to protect themselves
and the other students.
* With the situation in our schools today, I’m for requiring that all school