Summary: God sees you not in your own righteousness but in that perfection of His Son!
1. Romans, along with Hebrews are by far the most doctrinal letters in the New Testament.
a. They’re full of good, solid, and wonderful truths!
b. Remember, doctrine, isn’t a word to be afraid of.
c. It simply means ‘TEACHING’
d. And so when God is teaching us through His Word, we are learning ‘SOUND DOCTRINE’
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (quickview)  (NKJV) 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
NOW: Paul in a later letter, warned the young Pastor Timothy of a time where SOUND DOCTRINE will not be ‘endured’.
2 Timothy 4:3 (quickview)  (NKJV) 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; |
NOTE: I believe it’s safe to say the time HAS COME.
Today, there isn’t just a lack of endurance, but there is an outright resistance to SOUND DOCTRINE!
• There are churches today where so much is taught that simply appeals to the flesh of man, to man’s carnality.
• There’s a ‘dumbing’ down of theology for the sake of seeker.
• Churches are changing & transforming to reach the seeker.
• Churches are changing & transforming to make money!
NOTE: It’s just so sad as a pastor to see…
#1 – So many false teachers out there fleecing the flock of God.
#2 – So few people really want to know God’s Word. Instead they heap up for themselves teachers… that will tickle their ears.
• But while their ears are tickled by men, God’s judgment awaits:
BUT I want to commend you guys, this congregation because you want the Word, desire it, and live it out!
• It’s not to puff you up, but rather to encourage you!
• Your hunger for the word, your obedience to the Word is infectious making you powerful tools in the hand of God!
• You’re here with open ears ready & receptive.
• And you’re acting upon what you hear… living out your faith!
• Don’t stop now. Keep growing. Keep maturing…
• Notice v5, and be watchful. Don’t let your guards down.
• Endure afflictions! Fulfill your ministry!
SOMETIMES, NO MANY Times the word of God is going to challenge your thinking… it’s going to cut to the heart of a matter that you’re engaged with right now.
NOTE: Jesus uses the illustration of building houses…
• Both men built a house. They both heard the gospel.
• They both built in about the same place, same materials…
• Both homes look real good on the outside.
• The problem was with the foundation.
SO it is with many people. They are good outwardly. They look strong, go to a good church, lot’s of good works…