Summary: Prayer is spiritual warfare against evil.
1. Prayer is based on a relationship to God where you simply talk with God.
2. Prayer is communication with God.
3. Prayer is family relationship.
4. Jesus excludes praying in any other name such as Buddha, Confucius, and even Allah. “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me” (John 14:6).
5. Jesus was not negative; He was stating the positive way to God.
6. Begin with a relationship to the Father. “You must be born again” (John 3:7).
8. Critics have difficulty with our way of praying because they don’t understand the nature of our relationship to God.
9. This series is not a devotional that moves you to prayer, nor is it practical how to pray.
10. This is an apologetic approach to prayer. Apologetics defends Christianity.
B. WHY CRITICS CRITICIZE: CRITICISM IS ACTIVE DISAGREEMENT
1. Critics begin with a different prejudice, orientation or core values.
2. They think they can do better, or want it improved.
3. They think it is not what was expected, or not up to their standards.
4. They are committed to a different orientation, system of thinking, or life-view.
5. They are ignorant, not knowing facts, information, or orientation of others.
6. They are naturally inquisitive, i.e., having a questioning mind.
7. It is the nature of humans to question.
8. They are blinded by sin, selfishness, greed or pride.
C. QUESTIONS AGAINST PRAYER FROM BOOK
1. We live in a universe controlled by a mechanical ecological system where scientific laws are the continuing and overriding force of events. Can prayer reverse the unalterable universe governed by scientific laws?
Answer: God who created laws can override His laws.
2. The almighty God has a pre-determined plan for the universe. Can prayer override God’s omnipotent and omniscient plan for the world and those He loves?
Answer: God is not limited to time and can incorporate answers into His plan.
3. If God answers some prayers of some people, but not others, is He playing favorites? Can God answer the prayers of some and not others, and still be impartial?
Answer: Prayer is not playing favorites. Any who follow God’s principles can get answers.
4. The problem of absurd prayers. Why won’t God grow back a limb that was amputated?
Answer: God answers according to His nature.
5. Are answers to prayer awarded based on constantly asking God for what we want because we annoy Him with constant begging? Answer: God answers according to the principles of prayer.
6. Can you pray to a God that you think may not be there?
Answer: Prayer is not something we do alone; it is based on a relationship with God.
7. How specific can prayer be focused and still be biblical and still reach God? Can prayer do anything because God can do anything?
Answer: God answers according to human and divine laws.
8. What happens when two equally godly people are praying for opposite things?
Answer: People have a free will, but God answers according to His plan and principles.
9. If God can really act in the world (perform a miracle), why is there so much evil? Is prayer an option since there is so much evil in the world?
Answer: Prayer is spiritual warfare against evil.
10. Can prayer connect with God since He seems hidden?
Answer: God is omniscient (knows all things) and omnipresent (everywhere present).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
All PBC lessons are available online at trbc.org/pbc. Go to www.Hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.
Dr. Towns' email is ELTowns@liberty.edu
Dr. Towns’ web address is www.elmertowns.com