In our day many people believe that love is the only necessary ingredient for any society. In an age when millions believe most human problems could be solved with enough tolerance, understanding and love, Jesus disagrees. In fact, Jesus gave 147 different commandments that are recorded in the gospels. The Savior of the world stills offer people clear statements of truth that are to be trusted and obey regardless of the changing norms of society. The following list of 147 commandments is taken from Alban Douglas’s 100 Bible Lessons, page 45. Evaluate yourself and your people to see how well you are doing to realize the full benefits of the absolute imperatives from Jesus Christ.
1. Repentance – Repentance involves turning away from sin and following the Lord and His Lord’s will. Jesus said, "Repent for the kingdom of heaven is in your midst…. Strive to enter into the narrow gate: for many will not be able to enter… But, seek first His kingdom and His righteousness." (Matt. 4:17, Lk. 13:24, Matt 6:33)
2. Belief – We are believe in the Jesus Christ, the heavenly Father and the gospel. Jesus said, "Repent and believe the gospel… Believe in God, believe also in Me. This is the work of God that you believe in the One who He has sent." (Mark 1:15, John 14:1, John 6:29)
3. The New Birth – The new birth is the regeneration of the Spirit at the moment of conversion. Jesus said, "Marvel not that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’… Rejoice, because your names are written in heaven...Make the tree good and his fruit will be good or make the tree corrupt and his fruit will be corrupt. (Jn 3:7, Lk. 10:20,Matt. 12:33)
4. Receiving the Holy Ghost – Each believer is to indwelt, empowered and enabled by the Holy Spirit of God. Jesus said, "He breathed on them and said, ‘Receive the Holy Ghost.’… Stay in the Jerusalem unti you have been clothed with power from on high." (John 20:22, Lk. 24:49)
5. Following Jesus – Every Christian must follow Jesus Christ in all aspects of life. Jesus said, "If anyone will serve Me, let them follow Me… If anyone will come after Me let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow Me… What is it to you if John remains, Peter, You follow Me." (John 12:26, Lk. 9:23, John 21:22)
6. Prayer – The Believer’s life is to be characterized by prayer. Jesus said, "Watch and pray that you do not enter into temptation… Pray to the Lord of the harvest to send workers into His fields. (Lk. 21:36, Matt. 9:36-38)
7. Faith – Every Christian is made great because of faith in a God who greater than all problems. Jesus said, "Have faith in God-Be not faithless, but believing. Be of good cheer; it is I, do not be afraid." Mk.11:22, Jn.20:27, Mt 14:27
8. Searching the Scriptures – Have daily Bible study and devotions so God may speak to you. Jesus said, "Search the scriptures for in them you have life." Remember the word that I said to you." (John 5:39, John 15:20)
9. Letting Your Light Shine – Each believer must let their light shine before their fellow person. Jesus said, "Let your light shine before men that they may see your good works.. Go home and show the great things God has done."