Summary: Palm Sunday was an extraordinary day and has much to teach us about Christian living.
3/28/2010 Luke 19:28-44 S__ L__ R__
1. Friday – 7 Days Before Crucifixion
a. soon earthly ministry would be finished
b. His cry would ring out “It Is Finished”
c. Salvation would be available to all men!!
2. What a Day It Must Have been!
a. Not really describable-
b. on of those you ‘should’ve been there’ days
1. DAY OF COMMANDING Vs. 28-31
A. HIS MESSAGE WAS THE SAME!
1. Man’s sin had separated him from God
2. God’s Holiness demanded justice
3. Justice demanded -shedding of blood
a. twice in Ezk the soul that sins, it shall die
For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that makes an atonement for the soul.
And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
B. HIS MANNER WAS DIFFERENT
1. Not a sense of fear or panic
a. Sense of completion
2. Luke 9:51
And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he steadfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,
And they were in the way going up to Jerusalem; and Jesus went before them: and they were amazed; and as they followed, they were afraid.
3. Vs. 31 “the Lord”
a. Not many yrs. From this would die – word
b. ‘kurios’ – supreme authority; controlling one
4. Coming A day Philippians 2:10-11
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
2. DAY OF OBEYING Vs. 32-35a
1. No Quibbling or Questioning
2. Could easily have said “I don’t want to”
3. W/O this simple act – no triumphant
1. Went exactly where he told them to go
2. Looking exactly for what he told them
3. When God speaks don’t need man’s
a. clarification or input
1 Kings 13:15-22 (MSG)
15 "Well, come home with me and have a meal."
16 "Sorry, I can't do that," the holy man said. "I can neither go back with you nor eat with you in this country. 17 I'm under strict orders from God: 'Don't eat a crumb; don't drink a drop; and don't come back the way you came.' " 18 But he said, "I am also a prophet, just like you. And an angel came to me with a message from God: 'Bring him home with you, and give him a good meal!' " But the man was lying. 19 So the holy man went home with him and they had a meal together. 20 There they were, sitting at the table together, when the word of God came to the prophet who had brought him back. 21 He confronted the holy man who had come from Judah: "God's word to you: You disobeyed God's command; you didn't keep the strict orders your God gave you; 22 you came back and sat down to a good meal in the very place God told you, 'Don't eat a crumb; don't drink a drop.' For that you're going to die far from home and not be buried in your ancestral tomb."
1. Every time -donkey – “Is that the one?
2. No there is no colt tied with him
3. Jesus said w/colt – never wrong!!!
D. VICTORIOUSLY 35a & they brought him to Jesus
1. Do what Jesus says always victorious
2. No matter what it looks like or
a. who seems to be winning
3. Jesus always prevails
3. DAY OF EXALTING Vs. 35b-38
A. VOLITIONALLY 3 XS “THEY”
1. Own Free Will – No arm twisting
2. Something from within had to come out!
1. Did not care who was watching
2. Picked Jesus up – threw coats down
3. Tore off Palm Branches
1. If I don’t shout I’m going to explode
a. get to thinking about my salvation – SHOUT!
b. get to thinking about Heaven – SHOUT!
c. thinking about His Soon Coming –SHOUT!
2. Why Dumb Cold Rocks have more fire
a. Luke 19:40 And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
4. DAY OF CENSORING Vs. 39-40
A. COLD WATER COMMITTEE
Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovers himself! 21 And David said unto Michal, It was before the Lord, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel: therefore will I play before the Lord. 22 And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honor. 23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.