Summary: This sermon was used on a Membership Sunday.
What Makes a Good Church Member?
Acts 2:46,47 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
I. A Genuine Christian
A. This organization is not a social or civic club; it is the church of Jesus Christ.
1. It is not the Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions, Garden or Country Club.
2. Man did not organize it or charter it.
3. This is the Body of Christ.
B. Official membership will not happen today. Membership is not by vote of the other members, registration in the membership book or payment of membership dues. Membership is by birth - the NEW BIRTH.
C. Joining (church name) will not get anyone one inch closer to eternity in heaven.
D. The first requirement for membership in (church name) is that you have accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and you are committed to Him. If you have never accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, you should not join this church.
1. John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
2. Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. :10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
II. A Christian that Prays
A. For Pastor
1Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
B. For Church Family
C. For Church Ministries
D. Pray especially when it comes time to select church leadership. (and be here to vote)
III. A Christian that Grows Spiritually
A. They know that they have not arrived.
1. There is so much more to learn about God.
2. There is so much more molding and shaping that God wants to do in their lives
3. Christians that cease to grow spiritually, soon become bad church members.
B. To grow spiritually, one needs to constantly review the membership manual (THE BIBLE).
C. Regular attendance in church services. This is where the family meets. If you decide to stop attending this church, withdraw your membership
IV. A Christian that is Eager to Serve
A. One of the many benefits of joining a church is the support system that comes with it. We have received great blessing from being a member of the church.
B. But if you join the church just for what you can get out of it, you are joining for the wrong reason.
C. The church gives us a framework or infrastructure by which we can more effectively serve God.
D. It is a known fact that in most organizations, 20% of the people do 80% of the work. This should not be.
1. Every Christian is called to service.
2. Jesus is our example - Mark 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
3. Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
V. A Christian that Promotes the Church in the Community
A. One of the purposes of the Church is to expand the Kingdom of God; that means growing the church.
1. Do you believe in the message of the Gospel that this Church preaches? Do you believe that this church offers a good opportunity to grow in Christian discipleship?
2. If you do, why wouldn’t you want to invite your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers to attend this church? We are not talking about stealing sheep from (names of other local churches) or some other church.
B. Let me ask you a question; when you have a family situation, do you go out tell everyone about it?
VI. A Christian that Obeys God