Summary: The 23 Psalm what is God saying in this Psalm?
“What might God be saying?” Psalm 23
Mother Teresa, who established an AIDS hospice in New York City and an AIDS home in San Francisco, believes that "God is speaking to us through this disease." "What Might God be saying?"
1. God speaks to us through this Psalm of David God is saying I am the Shepherd
• God is A shepherd who "makes me lie down in green pastures ... sheep sleep standing up most of the time. They want to get as much of a head start as possible when danger comes. If a sheep is going to lie down, he needs to feel absolutely secure. God is saying I make you feel secure “I am the Good Shepherd I make you feel this way
• God leads me beside still waters ... God is Speaking, I give “peace, love, harmony to your life”.
• God restores my soul ...God is telling us “I give Back” God "restores my soul," says the psalm, or -- in a more down-to-earth translation -- God "keeps me alive"
• He leadeth me in paths of righteousness for his namesake God leads us in ways that bring our life to be a life of Fullness and a life of integrity
• Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for though art with me . No Matter the most threating conditions God is saying “I am with you”. God is saying I am active In your life even in the most life threatening crisis "Even though I walk through the darkest valley," says the psalm, "I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff -- they comfort me" Your "darkest valley" might be a terminal illness. A betrayal by a friend. A marital problem. The loss of a job. A failure in a college course or a business venture. Whatever your darkest valley, your shepherd God is with you, offering you the comfort
• Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. God ... provides Guidance and direction through the staff that stimulates or prods us in the righteous ways of life.
• Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies. you will encounter “enemies”, It also says, you will be taken care of even in the midst of your opponents. It does not just say you will survive. It says that a table or a feast will be spread before you, even while you are in the presence of those forces that oppose you. In ancient world after a great victory a table was spread for the victor
• Thou anointest my head with oil. My cup runneth over. Kings were anointed for placement in thrones this is the image of abundant over flowing abundances of love, care, and confidence.
• Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me, all the days of my life. Goodness goes with me and grace follows me all my life.
• I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. The words “to dwell” may also mean “to abide”, which means to embrace, to follow, to be one with. God is saying I am the provider - God provide insurances Although we face threats to our physical, emotional and spiritual health, we have a God at the center of our lives who gives us the assurance that "surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long" (v. 6).
3. God Speaks to Us what is God saying?
• God is inviting us to be lead, God leads me beside still waters I give “peace, love, harmony to your life”.
• God invites us to be restored, “He restoreth my soul”
• God invites us to be complete, He leadeth me in paths of righteousness for his namesake Life is full
• God invites us to be fearless in the greatest of crisis, , I will fear no evil, for though art with me .
• to be a victor because of His love and care, Thou anointest my head with oil. My cup runneth over
• God is giving us an invitation to dwell in His House forever? Will you say Jesus to the Good Shepherd