Summary: This is the first in a series based on Rick Warren’s Purpose driven life
What On Earth Am I Here For?
A. What on Earth am I here for?
B. I cant tell you how many times I have heard that question
C. It may be phrase What is life for
D. What is this all about
F. Where is the meaning?
G. Why is this world empty
H. What do I have to do to find significance
I. What is the purpose of this life?
J. Phrase it anyway you want it is a question we have all asked many times
K. Well we are going to begin our study on the purpose of life
L. Today will serve as a introduction then the next five weeks we will be talking about the 5 purpose of our life
M. But how will knowing our purpose help us to live better?
N. Today we will be talking about 5 reasons your life will be better by knowing your purpose
a. Knowing your purpose gives us meaning
b. Knowing your purpose simplifies our lives
c. Knowing your purpose gives us focus
d. Knowing your purpose gives us motivation
e. Knowing your purpose prepares us for eternity
I. Knowing your purpose gives meaning to your life
1. I am sure that you all have heard the story about the 3 generations of lady cooking the Christmas Ham
2. The youngest girl was getting the ham ready to put in the oven. Her mom told her to make sure she cut the ends off
3. The girl listened and cut the ends off, and then put it in the oven
4. Then she thought about it and asked her mother why?
5. Her mom sat there a couple of seconds and finally said. “I don’t know”
6. Her mom went to her mom and asked her mom why we cut the ends off
7. Because my pan was too small to fit it in otherwise, I had to
1. There is nothing more frustrating in this entire world then to do something without purpose
2. Without purpose there is no meaning
3. There is no point
4. It is just all busywork
5. Quickly we become depressed because everything is meaning less
6. A person my age once was quoted saying “I feel like a failure because I am struggling to become something, and I don’t even know what it is. All I know how to do is to get by. Someday, if I discover my purpose, I’ll feel I’m Beginning to live
7. For many of us we can relate to what that man is saying
8. We get up in the morning, drag our butts out of bed, go to work, come home, do the chores around the house and go to bed
9. We sit there and wonder why are we doing this. We are just scrapping by and not getting anywhere
10. We go to bed, wake up the next day and repeat.
1. Why? What is the purpose of all this?
2. You know what you will keep asking yourself that question
3. There is no answer to it
4. Unless. Unless. Hear me now
5. You know God
6. Without God, life has no purpose meaning significance, or hope.
7. Without God you end up going through life without any purpose
8. To find that meaning in your life you have to fulfill God’s purpose
9. Now you are sitting there worried about how to do that.
10. Stay tuned the next couple of weeks. It will become crystal clear to you.
II. Knowing your purpose simplifies your life
1. How many of you have too much on their plate?
2. How many of you are tired?
3. How many of you are just working too hard? Let me see hands
4. I have gotten to know must of you fairly well, I can honestly say we have a busy hard working church
5. I know your schedules that you keep, they are tough
6. All that work all those different struggles create
a) Stress – how will I be able to get all of that done
b) Fatigue – I just cant make it to Bible Study tonight
c) Conflict – Look at so and so over there, they have such an easy life that make me mad. So then they say something you don’t like, like lets paint that basement yellow and you want it to stay white so you become mad at them and then they get mad at you next thing your know you have a war
7. Can any of you relate?
1. I have good news!
2. Living a purpose driven life will simplify things!
3. Yes I said simplify!