What Praise Produces
Contributed by Richard Scott on Aug 23, 2020 (message contributor)
Summary: We praise and we'll worship but we need to stop sometime and say but do you really know what praise can do in your life?
(Psa 22:1 KJV) To the chief Musician upon Aijeleth Shahar, A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? (Psa 22:2 KJV) O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent. (Psa 22:3 KJV) But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
How was Jesus’ cry from the cross, quoted in Aramaic, received by those standing near? “When some of the bystanders heard it, they said, ‘Listen, he is calling for Elijah.’ And someone ran, filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on a stick, and gave it to him to drink, saying, ‘Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to take him down’”
There are two misconceptions about this passage.
1. The people around him misunderstood him, that thought he was calling on the prophet Elijah.
a. Elijah's name means “Yahweh is my God” and could easily be misunderstood
i. They mocked him at his saying
2. Many Christians today misunderstood him
They incorrectly think that God had forsaken his Son, had turn his back on him. But that could not be further from the truth.
I take this position because:
• God can not lie!
(Num 23:19 KJV) God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
• He made a promise that he would never leaver or forsake his chosen:
(Jos 1:5 KJV) There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
So I can easily come to the conclusion that he would not forsake his Son, his chosen who had performed the most important task to save mankind.
Mosses led the children of Israel out of bondage
Joshua led them into the promise land
Jesus saved the whole world
So I take no reservation in proclaiming that God did not forsake Jesus on the cross nor did Jesus accuse his farther of abandoning him.
Jesus wasn't complaining neither was doubting God he was quoting Ps 22.Those who were around ,the Sanhedrin the Pharisees, and the Sadducees knew the law and the scripture.
while hanging on the cross He begins to recite this Psalm.
• Jesus wasn't defeated
• Jesus wasn't complaining.
• Jesus wasn't trying to say God let him down .
If you read the 22 Psalm, you will discover that Jesus is telling us that in your darkest hour in the time when things look worse .you gotta to remember that he inhabits the praises of his people.
Jesus Went all the way to the cross
• carried every burden
• all of the sins of the world
• every sickness
• every disease
and if anybody had the right to complain, it way Jesus
But Jesus is teaching amost important lesson:
• that when you may have reservations about the power of God to save you,
• When you may have concerns about God leaving you in the dark, when you don’t feel God’s presence.
Read Psalm 22:1
• that explains the frail, inconsistent, doubtful conditionon of the flesh
• move on to verse 2 that reminds you to call on God day or night
• and remember in verse 3 that He inhabits your praise.
I know that praises get results!
• when you're in your darkest hour
• when you're down and out
• when things are going crazy
• when you don't understand
you don't need to go around and complain about God, claiming that He has put you down.You just need to go and Meditate on verse 3.
if you gotta get in private prayer space by yourself and just start tapping your feet’
you don’t need any music. You can just hum a few bars our that praise song that excites you about the goodness of God
You have got to get your praise on. Why is this important?
1. because the praise in you is brings the company of God.
When you praise him, you can expect company ( when I was a child I loved it when my mother who say we are expecting company)
When company came,
• we would have the best meal,
• when company came I had someone to play with me.( I was an only child so lots of my play was by myself)
but I would get excited when company would come, because I had some to play with.