Summary: The sermon shares what provoked the disciples to follow and what provoked some to discontinue their following of jesus.
1. First let’s look at what provoked them from not following Jesus
60On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?"
A. Partiality to other Beliefs provoked them from not following “I f Jesus says it believe it"
• Deut 1: . 17Do not show partiality in judging; hear both small and great alike. Do not be afraid of any man, for judgment belongs to God
B. People provoked them from not following "Fear of what others might think"
• Jesus says, Matthew 10:2828Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
C. Peoples Perception of the Word provoked them from not following
• "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand. 14In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: " `You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving
2. What provokes us to Follow Jesus?
A. What Provokes us to Follow Jesus is being Persistent
• Unending Faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshiped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. Choose you this day whom you will serve as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.
B. What Provokes us to Follow Jesus is to become more persistent in Prayer Nehemiah prayed day and night
• Nehemiah sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven. 5Then I said: "O LORD, God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and obey his commands,6let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel.
C. What Provokes us to Follow Jesus is When we become more Personable as the woman with the issue of blood, who wanted to touch him or the hem of his garment.
• Matthew said 14:36. People brought all their sick to him 36and begged him to let the sick just touch the edge of his cloak, and all who touched him were healed
• Mark says a man from Bethsaida 8:22They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. 23He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When he had spit on the man's eyes and put his hands on him, Jesus asked, "Do you see anything?"
• Luke says 6:19. Those troubled by evilA spirits were cured, 19and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all.
D. What Provokes us to Follow Jesus is When we Purpose to be Pure
• What Provokes us to Follow Jesus, is When Purity of heart becomes ones Purpose
• Psalm 51:10Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
• What Provokes us to Follow Jesus, is When One is pure because they are prompted by the Spirit they will follow
• Gal 5:1616So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature
• What Provokes us to Follow Jesus, is When the People purpose to live by Faith they will follow
3. Peter said what Provoked him to Follow Jesus
A. Peter was provoked to Follow that which Produced Life
• 63The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spiritE and they are life.
• Peter said, "68Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life
B. Peter was Provoked to Believe and Know who Jesus Is
• 69We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."
4. In conclusion What Provokes us to follow Jesus is:
• Becoming more Persistent,
• Becoming more Persistent in Prayer
• Becoming More Personable,
• Becoming Purposed to be Pure like he is pure,
• Becoming Provoked by