Summary: If God created everything in the universe, and the original creation was ‘very good’, then why is there death and suffering in the world? And what really happened to the dinosaurs?
DINOSAURS, SCIENCE AND THE BIBLE PART #2:
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED TO THE DINOSAURS?
OPENING QUOTE: “What was the Big Bang?”
In the beginning (you know we had to start like this) the Universe seems to have been an infinitely hot, infinitely dense concentration of energy, (though) we don’t have a working theory of physics to describe how anything behaves in these conditions. Once the Big Bang was underway… Space started to exist, and the clock began to tick. Then something unusual and important happened: the Universe blew up… So where did the Big Bang come from? Unfortunately that’s not a question for which science has a good answer…
Excerpted from The Quirks & Quarks Guide to Space by Jim Lebans http://lifestyle.sympatico.msn.ca (02-29-08).
- they freely admit that they don’t know the answers!
INTRODUCTION: Review main points from session #1
TEXT: “In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth.” (Genesis 1:1).
Last week we discussed how the Bible is more than just a book of religion and salvation, it is the History Book of the Universe. We considered how the Bible teaches us that:
1. God created everything in the universe about 6,000 years ago.
2. Dinosaurs were created on day six along with all land-dwelling animals (Gen. 1:24).
3. All humans and animals were originally vegetarian (Gen. 1:30)
4. We looked at various Scriptures that described dinosaurs. (CD available)
OPENING TEXT: “Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.” (Genesis 1:31).
WHY IS THERE DEATH AND SUFFERING?
• This is one of the arguments we often get from unbelievers: “If God is good, then why is there suffering and dying and disease and death in the world?”
• Why did God create a world full of suffering? It was originally ‘very good.’
• Would you complain to Ford about manufacturing a smashed up car? Of course not.
• One day God will fix the Earth – death is temporary.
THE BIG IDEA: If God created everything in the universe, and the original creation was ‘very good’, then why is there death and suffering in the world? “By looking at the Genesis account of the fall of man, we know that we are looking at a fallen, cursed world. Death and suffering is the penalty for sin, and our sins are responsible for all the death and suffering in the world.” (Ken Ham, Why is there Death and Suffering?).
“And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” (Genesis 2:16-17).
• Adam and Eve were given the freedom to enjoy the ‘very good’ creation of God.
• They were only given one commandment.
THE STORY OF THE FALL:
“1 Now the serpent was more cunning than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said to the woman, "Has God indeed said, ’You shall not eat of every tree of the garden’?" 2 And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God has said, ’You shall not eat it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.’ " 4 Then the serpent said to the woman, "You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."