Summary: What the resurrection means to you
Due to the large amount of sermons and topics that appear on this site I feel it is necessary to post this disclaimer on all sermons posted. my sermon ideas and illustrations are often taken from many sources including those at Sermoncentral.com, there could be instances where other minister’s wording is used, or wording similar. I am not trying to steal anything from anyone else, just trying to help others proclaim the gospel. my sermons are not copyrighted and may be used or preached freely. May God richly bless you as you read these words. It is my sincere desire that all who read them may be enriched. All scriptures quoted in these sermons are copied and quoted from the Authorized King James Version of the Holy Bible.
A. Read Luke 24:1-12.
Luke 24 : 1-12
1 Now upon the first [day] of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain [others] with them.
2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.
4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down [their] faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
6 He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee,
7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
8 And they remembered his words,
9 And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.
10 It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary [the mother] of James, and other [women that were] with them, which told these things unto the apostles.
11 And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not.
12 Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass.
1. We love to read this passage on Easter morning.
2. We love to read of the empty tomb.
3. We shout "Hallelujah" when we read of the resurrection.
4. He is not here!
5. He is risen!
6. Jesus is alive!
7. Jesus went into the grave a dead, lifeless body.
8. But He came out alive.
B. Jesus was truly resurrected.
1. But what does that mean to us?
2. How does the resurrection affect us?
3. What can the resurrection mean in our lives?
C. To find this out, I want us to look at another passage in the Bible.
1. I want us to look at the book of 1 Peter, the book written by the apostle.
2. This is the Peter who said He would never leave Jesus' side.
3. This is the Peter who denied Jesus, not once, not twice, but three times.” “
4. This is the Peter who wept bitterly.
D. But this is the Peter who experienced the power of the resurrection in his life.
1. He was restored by Jesus.
2. If anyone would know the power of the resurrection, it was Peter.
3. If this Peter could be restored by the power of the resurrection, so can you.
4. Let's see what His writing tells us we have by the power of the resurrection.
5. Read 1 Peter 1:3-5.
1Peter 1 : 3-5
3 Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
Because of the resurrection, we have ...
II. A new birth into a living hope (v. 3).
A. A New Birth.
1. You ever said, "If I had that to do all over again ..."?
2. Or, "If I could live my life over ..."
3. The resurrection gives you the ability to do just that.
4. You can't live your life over, but you can do better than that.
5. The power of the resurrection gives you new life.
6. You may have spent all you life in horrible sin.
7. You may have hurt others.
8. You may have wasted your life chasing after the pleasures of life, only to come up empty.