Summary: When God topples your giant... tell the story - there's power to your testimony!
• what to do when a GIANT stands in your way - 4
• you'll want to provide small stones at the front of the church (you'll see why at the end - the idea is that you put it in your pocket to respond to the message... and you don't take it out until you take the action you've committed to)
• Last week of series is here…
• Q: Who is the greatest babysitter mentioned in the Bible?
• A: David - he rocked Goliath to sleep.
• Q: Why was Goliath so surprised when David hit him with a slingshot?
• A: The thought had never entered his head before.
• Q: If Goliath is resurrected, would you like to tell him the joke about David and Goliath?
• A: No, he already fell for it once.
• Good Stuff – (give your own church testmonies... below are ours)
o Mentioned floor, fundraiser, awesome family gave to replace entire floor… happening Next month
o Laugh your way - 81 people
o New SS class - 21 people
o Summit Heights Night went so well, we’re doing more
o Check out epicenter… awesome remodel… great ss too
o Kids quizzing started, teaching kids Bible creatively
o Tim Tebow Foundation’s Night to Shine
Limos and red carpet
Talking to buddy ball people… we’ll need tons
o Big plans for warm souls
o Possible Mission Trip to Belize this Summer
• Feels good to hear and see God working… energizes me…
• In old church, Sun PM, used to share testimonies… I remember mrs Thelma talking about God’s faithfulness since her husband died… times have changed, but the need to share testimonies hasn’t…
• Psalm 107:2 - Has the Lord redeemed you? Then speak out! Tell others he has redeemed you from your enemies.
o Redeem here – reclaim a person (economic transaction) – also righting a wrong against family… story of Ruth (Boaz family redeemer) … here, many think talking about rescuing people from Israel… a national call to speak out! For us… just as valid, universally rescued from sin… transaction taken place, etc.
o We’ve been talking about how God will be responsible for the fall of our Giants… so shouldn’t he get credit? We don’t just go on… we tell the story!
• POINT As you learn to testify of God’s goodness… you’ll gain the courage to tackle giants… and you’ll give others the courage necessary to do the same.
• Jesus was doing miracles like crazy… stuff only God can do… (that’s a miracle, right?) and crowds were following him everywhere… looking for him… they found him…
• John 6:26 - Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, you want to be with me because I fed you, not because you understood the miraculous signs.
• Get that… they were looking for Jesus because they benefitted from him miracles… were looking for more of that… it’s why kids love Santa Claus… he addresses that… I didn’t do that just so you’d get what you want… you’re missing the biggest blessing of all… a restored relationship with God… you’re just looking for Christmas presents!
• John 20:30-31 - The disciples saw Jesus do many other miraculous signs in addition to the ones recorded in this book. But these are written so that you may continue to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing in him you will have life by the power of his name.
o Get that… the only reason they’re written about is to point people to Jesus…
• POINT Jesus wants to topple your Giant to bring glory to God!
• Let me tell you my testimony with my dad – used to hate him... God changed my sin to something amazing in one moment
o From that day forward, I couldn’t have a negative…
• One of the greatest opportunities you’ll ever have is to testify of God’s goodness… and it’s powerful.
• David killed Goliath… toppled him with stone, killed with own sword… look at what happens next…
• 1 Samuel 17:51b-53 - When the Philistines saw that their champion was dead, they turned and ran.52Then the men of Israel and Judah gave a great shout of triumph and rushed after the Philistines, chasing them as far as Gath and the gates of Ekron. The bodies of the dead and wounded Philistines were strewn all along the road from Shaaraim, as far as Gath and Ekron.53Then the Israelite army returned and plundered the deserted Philistine camp.
• Did you see that… he toppled a giant… others got the courage necessary to do something they were afraid to do for 40 days straight.
• I love the testimony of Lee Strobel atheist Christianity stupid… journalist / lawyer wife converted… saw unbelievable changes in her… goes to church to talk her out of it… investigates Christianity and “saw” overwhelming evidence… came to Christ… now author/professor/pastor