Summary: Many times when people find that they cannot do as much as they did in the past, they feel as if God cannot use them in their old age.
WHAT TO EXPECT GOD CAN DO IN OUR OLD AGE!
Many times when people find that they cannot do as much as they did in the past, they feel as if God cannot use them in their old age. In this sermon outline we just list a few of the many blessing the aged can expect and to ask and believe God to do according to His Word. My mother at the making of this sermon outline is over 95 years old and still going strong for the Lord. Up to a couple of months ago she worked as my secretary in our ministry. She still is being used of the Lord.
Old age comes from God, old age leads on to God.
- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955)
- Deut 34:7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated. .
I. We are told by the god of this world that when we get old we are useless. However, let us see what God says.
A. We can still let our light shine for Jesus.
- Job 11:17 And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday; thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning. .
B. We can be very wise. Have understanding.
- Job 12:12 With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.
C. We can ask God for wisdom. James 1:5 AMP If any of you is deficient in wisdom, let him ask of the giving God [Who gives] to everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him.
II. When we are old, does God throw us aside?
- Psalms 71:9 Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth. .
- Psalms 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray headed, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come. .
A. We are precious in the sight of God.
III. Can we in old age still be blest?
- Psalms 92:14 They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing;
A. Old people have been blessed in our ministry.
1. Years ago in one of our village crusades in Yugoslavia, young people who had been saved brought an old woman of 100 and she was saved. We are never too old.
2. In Brazil a man brought to the meeting was healed at age 108.
3. The older the fiddle, the sweeter the tune. English Proverb
IV. We can still praise the Lord as we age; it is for everyone, always.
- Psalms 148:12 Both young men, and maidens; old men,
- Psalms 148:13 Let them praise the name of the LORD: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven. .
V. It is honorable to be old. Especially in third world countries we see this.
- Prov 16:31 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness. .
VI. He will never leave us in our old age.
- Isaiah 46:4 And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you.
- Matt. 28: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
VII. We should be an example in our old age.
- Titus 2:2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.
- Titus 2:3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
VIII. We can still do the Work of God.
- Philemon 1:9 Yet for love's sake I rather beseech thee, being such an one as Paul the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ.
1. Some of Paul's greatest ministry was in his old age.
2. Remember Moses was called to the ministry at age 80.
3. It is better to show up for work in the kingdom of heaven at sunset than not to show up at all! Erwin W. Lutzer
- Luke 2:37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
1. We are never too old to serve God in the Church.
2. My mother said if she cannot go, she can pray.