Summary: When we clothe ourselves with Christ, things will change for us and with us.
• Last week we look at some things we need to rid ourselves of as we strive to live the new life we have in Christ.
• If I were to re-title that message to flow with this week, it would be called, “What Not To Wear.”
• SLIDE #1
• This week we are going to look at “What To Wear.”
• When we talk off the old life, the old ways of life, we need to replace them with something else, lest we go around naked.
• What we wear is important. If you were to go to a typical job interview, would you dress like a bum?
• Certain jobs require certain clothing. If you were a mechanic, you would not wear a business suit to the garage.
• When you are clothed with Christ, you are called to wear some special clothing.
• Today we will look at “What To Wear.”
• WE will be in Colossians 3:12-14 today.
• SLIDE #2-#3
• Read Colossians 3:12-14
• SLIDE #4
I. THE WARDROBE GOD HAS PICKED. (12)
• Notice in our passage today that Paul calls us chosen of God, holy and beloved.
• This implies that we have a special calling. We are chosen by God for a special purpose and a special destiny.
• The word “holy” means to be set apart.
• Because we are chosen for special service, we are told to “put on” some special items.
• In life, special jobs require special clothing. Astronauts were special clothing, athletes wear special clothing, and Christians are to wear special clothing in the figurative sense.
• As we look at what to wear, we need to wear the wardrobe that God has picked for us. Let us take a look at five things that God wants us to wear at all times.
• SLIDE #5
• Compassion is a sensitivity and sympathy for the needs of others.
• How many times have we been alerted to the needs of others only to just ignore the need? We think that someone else will take care of it.
• Christians need to be sympathetic to the needs of others.
• It is easy to be callous toward others because we can think that people cause their own problems. Many times that is true. Did that affect how Jesus felt about those who were hurting and in need?
• I am guilty of lacking in compassion at times. This is something I need to work on. This is something we all need to work on.
• SLIDE #6
• Kindness is acting charitably or being benevolent toward others.
• Kindness is closely related to compassion. John MacArthur says that kindness is a term that refers to the grace that pervades the whole person, mellowing all that might be harsh. Jesus used the word when he said, “My yoke is easy” (Matt. 11:30), not harsh or hard to bear. The kind person is as concerned about his neighbor’s good as he is about his own.
• I have a clip from the movie “Radio”.
• While Coach Jones high school football team is working out, Coach Joes looks over and sees Radio standing outside the fence watching the practice.
• START THE DVD.
• DVD Chapter: 8 Start Time: 0:21:26 End Time: 0:24:25
• Acts of kindness can change a person’s life.
• SLIDE #7
• This is an attitude in which we do not look at ourselves as being “better” than other people.