Summary: The scriptures do not say, “…become the salt and the light.” Jesus says, “You are the salt…You are the light.” So, what type of salt and light are you, I ask?
What Type of Salt and Light Are You?: Matt. 5:13-16
Introduction: God refers to believers as the “salt” and “light.” Too many Christians fail to appropriate the benefits, privileges, and responsibilities of being salt and light. As a result, millions suffer because they continue to conform to the world and its destructive ways. The following are several benefits of salt and light that need to be realized, reconsidered, and utilized so that others can benefit from who we are in Christ.
Jesus said, “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” (Matt. 5:13-16).
Benefits of Salt:
1. Preserves: We are to preserve whatever we come in contact with. When you are around others who might be less grounded in their faith, do you preserve what faith they have or do you exemplify a behavior that has them to question their faith? Ask God to help you be a better example for others to help preserve them in their faith.
2. Purifies: Just as we are purified through Jesus Christ, we must live as if we are purified. We can purify others in their walk with God by encouragement, involvement, and through the teaching of God’s Word.
3. Flavors: Christianity is not dull and boring. We are to have flavor. Don’t be so dull that when others see you they think, “Why would I want what they have?” We should exemplify a lifestyle that is full of flavor. We have tasted the flavor of the Lord.
4. Penetrates: Salt penetrates 100% of the time. We should also be penetrating 100% of the time. We should not let the secular things of this world penetrate our life, but we should be penetrating our community with the good news of Jesus Christ. Ask God to give you the wisdom of relating with others around you to build a bridge for effective witnessing.
5. Melts Ice: If there is someone who might have gotten cold in there faith, we are to melt that barrier by being the salt of God. We must be careful to not be lukewarm as well. "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold or hot. I wish you were one or the other! So, because you are Lukewarm -- neither hot nor cold -- I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Revelation 3:15-16 NIV). In some situations you will find yourself talking with someone who has a cold heart from their past life. We are to help warm their heart with the love of God.
6. Provides Traction: Many times, we will find ourselves in the presence of people who are living slippery lives. We are to give them traction with the foundation of God’s promises and truths. Do not let their slippery lifestyle slip you up, but give them something to hold onto so they don’t fall.
7. Works Quietly: Just as salt delivers such an impact without making a peep, we too should not make a big deal when we are helping others. We are to do these things unto the Lord and not get caught up in if anyone is noticing us.
8. Creates Thirst: We are to leave people thirsty for more. Live your life as if you are saved. This will make people want to know what you have. Ask the Lord to give you a lifestyle that would make people thirsty to know what hope you have. Give all of the credit to Jesus Christ.
9. Heals: Although we cannot heal anyone, we know the antidote for healing. Dr. Luke tells us in Acts 3:18, “Repent and be converted, so that your sins may be blotted out.”
10. Useful in numerous products: We should not eliminate any person because of race, gender, or lifestyle. God is able to use us in every situation as long as we are willing. Ask God to give you a willing heart and to submit to His agenda, not our own.
11. Inexpensive but valuable: We have the most valuable news that anyone can hear. This is not only valuable, but it will not cost anything that they can’t afford.
12. Works in all temperatures: Do not let people’s attitudes discourage you. Ask the Lord to use you in all instances. Also do not be acquired to working in only the air-conditioned church. Ask God to give you opportunities to serve outside in the community.