Summary: The gifts of the Magi were appropriate for they spoke of Who Jesus Christ was and is. What gift will you give Christ this Christmas?
WHAT WILL YOU GIVE CHRIST THIS CHRISTMAS?
Christmas is often seen as that time of year for the giving of gifts. People frantically try to find that perfect gift for that special person that will express their feelings and relationship toward one another. The origin of the gift giving tradition is obscured in antiquity. But I do find in Scripture in the narrative of the birth and infancy of Jesus Christ that a group of sages or wise men came from the East (the area of Iraq and Iran)seeking the infant Jesus. Finding Him they presented Him with gifts of Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh. The gifts of the Magi were appropriate for they express the very essence of who Jesus Christ is. What gift will you give Christ this Christmas?
I. They gave a gift that honored Him as King of kings and Lord of lords.
A. They gave him a gift of Gold
B. In the Christmas hymn, We Three Kings, we find the first Wiseman singing:
Born a King on Bethlehem’s plain, Gold I bring to crown Him again,
King forever, ceasing never, Over us all to reign.
C. Gold carries obvious worth. Gold has always been seen as a symbol of great wealth and power. It’s precious, worthy across all cultures and times. It’s a gift fit for royalty.
D. It is a fitting gift for indeed Jesus Christ is the Supreme sovereign.
1. Philippians 2:9-11 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
2. Revelation 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
3. Revelation 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
E. What will you give Christ as your King
F. As King He deserves your allegiance
1. Luke 16:13 No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
2. A wife who is 85% faithful to her husband is not faithful at all. There is no such thing as part-time loyalty to Jesus Christ. - Vance Havner
3. Jesus Christ is called Lord 747 times in the New Testament.
G. As King He demands your subjection to His authority.
1. Jesus is Lord of all, and the faith He demands involves unconditional surrender. He does not bestow eternal life on those whose hearts remain set against Him.
2. God is ready to assume full responsibility for the life wholly yielded to Him. - Andrew Murray
3. Luke 6:46 And why call ye Me, `Lord, Lord,’ and do not the things which I say?
II. They presented Him with a gift that honored Him as the Holy One.
A. They gave Him a gift of frankincense.
B. The second Wiseman in the song sings:
Frankincense to offer have I, Incense owns a Deity nigh.
Prayer and praising all men raising worship Him God most High.
C. There are over 17 references to Frankincense in the Bible. Frankincense was used as holy incense. The ceremonial incense of the Jews was compounded of four ’sweet scents,’ of which pure Frankincense was one, pounded together in equal proportion. It is frequently mentioned in the Pentateuch. Pure Frankincense formed part of the meet offering and was also presented with the shew-bread every Sabbath day. With other spices, it was stored in a great chamber of the House of God at Jerusalem.
D. Leviticus 2:16 And the priest shall burn the memorial of it, [part] of the beaten corn thereof, and [part] of the oil thereof, with all the frankincense thereof: [it is] an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
E. The offering of frankincense speaks of Christ as the Incarnate Holy One.
F. Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, THE MIGHTY GOD, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
G. Matthew 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, GOD WITH US.
H. As the Holy One, God Incarnate, what will you give Christ?
I. Owe Him our worship, our praise, our adoration.