Summary: Give up your personal wants and dreams and make Christ Jesus pre-eminent in your life.
I. Jesus came to Him.
A. He dwelt in Jericho (A place of fragrance)... He could not see but sense of smell was enhanced.
B. He sat by the highway begging.
1. He was seeking for the sustenance of life and found LIFE itself.
2. He was at the highway because that is where the crowds are. $$$
3. He sat in the place of opportunity.
4. Then he heard that Jesus was there!!!
a) He was not looking for Jesus, But he knew who Jesus was.
b) He began to cry out for Jesus!!!
But others tried to stop him,
Others say.. Don't you know He is with the multitude! He can't be bothered by one.
People got in his way. They told him to keep still when he cried out to Jesus. They told him that this was not a dignified procedure, that he had no business disturbing Jesus on His journey, that Jesus had no time to be bothered with the plea of a poor blind beggar. We may be sure that Satan is ready to throw obstacles in the way of seeking sinners today.
BUT, he cried out the more...
• His heart was stirred within. He wanted Jesus, his only hope.
• He cried out with his whole heart.
• Others could not stop him crying for Jesus, he may never again get another chance. He was a persistent seeker... would not be stopped.
• He cried for the open way.
• He cried for mercy. Pass me not o gentle Savior... Hear my humble cry.
II. Jesus heard his cry.
A. Jesus opened the way for him.
1. Bartimaeus reached the heart of Jesus.
a) Jesus stood still heard his prayer.
b) Jesus heard his cry
c) Jesus saw his need and stopped.
d) Jesus gave him the open way.
2. Jesus commanded him to be called.
a) They said be of good comfort, rise; He calleth thee.
• The very name of Jesus brings comfort to our hearts... or should
• His word brings comfort.
• We are commanded to bring them to Jesus!
b) He came to Jesus with nothing.
• Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to the cross I cling.
• Jesus didn't command him to bath, or do anything special... Just come.
• He casted away his garment, rose and went to Jesus. He was in a hurry.
He was not guilty of hugging the garment of:
Pride, Prejudice, Presumption, Procrastination
When we come to Jesus
we must lay aside every weight and sin.
Must be converted.
He did not care what he had to do... He was blind!
3. Jesus asked him the question... vs. 51
a) He responded... What will we respond?
• Mark 10:51 (KJV)
51 And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight.
• Isaiah 45:22 (KJV)
22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.
b) Rom. 10:17
III. Jesus Said to Him.
A. Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole.
1. Eph 2:8-9
2. Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
3. Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.