Summary: Jesus’ Return and how we are to prepare for it.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF . . .
What would you do if you knew Y2K was going to be more disastrous than anyone thought? What would you do if you knew the Lord was coming back on January 1, 2000? This is called the Sabbath View, i.e., we have lived 6,000 years since Creation, so Jesus is coming back for the last 1,000 years of millennial reign). What would you do if you knew the Lord was coming back September 29, 2000? (Many believe that Jesus will come back on the Jewish Feast of Rosh Hashanah, which is the Feast of Trumpets). As we get closer, you will find many people wrongly predicting that Jesus will come on September 29, 2000 AD.
Many Bible scholars believe that the Jewish feast calendar predicts the future. The first was Pentecost when Jesus died. The second was the feast of Firstfruits when Jesus was raised three days later. The third was the Feast of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came (Acts 2). The fourth is the Feast of Trumpets when Jesus returns at the sound of a trumpet, i.e., it comes in the fall, usually in September.
II. THIS SCRIPTURE TEACHES US ABOUT THE FUTURE, I.E., (Matthew 25:1-13 -
Watch for the future,
Prepare for the future,
Be ready for the future.
“Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.”
III. A DISCLAIMER AND WARNING
I don’t believe anyone will know the day that Jesus returns, God didn’t tell us the exact date because God knew we would procrastinate until the last minute. If we knew what was coming, we would not be eternally vigilant in serving Him. Remember the Lord said, “But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but My Father only” (Matthew 24:36).
IV. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF . . . (you knew a disaster will strike or the Lord will come)?
1. Would you be bold enough to witness to everyone; because you knew the judgement that awaits them?
2. Would you gather your family together and make sure each one of them is ready. If we are referring to an atomic bomb disaster, would you plan to meet somewhere if you survived the blast? Would you have provision for your family? How would you prepare them?
3. Would you be kinder in what you say to people knowing your words will witness against you, or would you be more indifferent knowing that you don’t need to get along with people in the future?
4. Would you go visit places you have never been, but you want to go such as: Niagara Falls, San Francisco, the Holy Land, etc.?
5. Would you go visit your sick mother, or other relatives that you should visit?
6. Would you go to your favorite bar to sit and wait with your friends and wait for “it” to happen?
7. Would you hole up in a monastery, and spend every day meditating on God and praying for that day of judgment?
8. Would you go to a mountain top and wait to meet the Lord, so that He could catch you up into the sky?
9. Would you sell all that you have, and dedicate your money to help as many people as possible before judgment?
10. Would you continue to buy and stockpile securities, money, so that you will have plenty after the day of judgment when there is financial panic and the stockmarket collapses?
11. Would you doubt that it’s coming and demand more warning signs before you act on the coming judgment?