Summary: I have a little problem with preaching that excludes the name of Jesus
Intro: there are a lot of name droppers in the Christian world today, every time I hear a professed Christian in the media, they are saying what God has done in their lives or church.
Today, in this audience there are people who cheer for Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida—what if someone here stood and said, I cheer for College---you say get more specific, and they say, no I don’t want to put anybody else down, I cheer for College—it wouldn’t make sense—neither does it make since to say you are a Christian and not profess Jesus Christ—
Today’s Message: Whatever Happened to the Name of Jesus
Hebrews 1:4—he by inheritance has obtained a more excellent name—
God has given the Son the inheritance of the most excellent name
What a lovely name this name of Jesus, reaching higher far, than the brightest star, sweeter than the songs they sing in heaven, let the world proclaim, what a lovely name.
1. it is a Saving Name—Matthew 1:21-thou shall call his name Jesus, for he shall save his people from their sins. What a wonderful name—he saves sinners—He is a Savior.
• Acts 4:12-neither is there salvation in any other, for there is none other name under heaven, given among men whereby we must be saved
• Romans 10:9 if thou shall confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus Christ and believe in your heart God raised him from the dead, thou shall be saved
Ill) lost in Maine Woods
2. it is a Devil defeating name—
• Mark 16:17—in my name shall they cast out devils
• Luke 10:17- even the devils are subject to us through thy name
3. it is a prayer answering name—
• John 14:14 if you ask anything in my name, I will do it
Ill) J.C.Morris—mom wakes up and feels the need to pray, JC hits a cement column going at a high speed, truck smashed in, he climbed out of the wreckage, with a cut on his arm-
4. it is a healing name—Acts 3:6—silver and gold have we none, but such as we have we give thee, in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk
ill) dad’s healing
5. it is the gathering name—Matthew 18:20 –where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them- if a few people get together in the name of Jesus, He is in the midst of us..
ill) southeastern chapel story
6. it is the knee bowing, tongue confessing name—Phil 2:9-10
Wherefore God hath highly exalted him and given him a name that is above every other name, that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, of things in heaven, of things in earth, of things under earth, and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father—
Close: whatever happened to the name of Jesus
Ill) story of Corvair in ditch--twice