Summary: We live in a rotting world, and yet our response should not be to run and hide. We have the gospel cure that the world needs.
Passage: 2 Timothy 3:1-9
Intro: tracking dogs
(article in www.advancek9sar.com)
Il) humans have 5 million sensory cells in our nose. Dogs have between 125-220 million
1. dogs smell this, faintly at first, and then zero in on location as scent intensifies!
2. because the closer we get to something that smells, the stronger the smell.
4. a sinful world will always have the smell of sin and death, but intensification marks the last days.
5. believers should always be alert to the stench of death, in our lives as well as in the world.
6. saw last week, cutting ourselves off from God’s truth will bring on a gangrenous situation; creeping death.
7. here is what it will smell like, but don’t forget the cure!
8. while the disease is fatal, the cure is found in the life-giving death and resurrection of the perfect Lamb of God, 9. let’s sniff around not only our culture, but our own self, to discover signs of death in time to do something about it.
10. we will know society is gangrenous…
I. When The Horrifying Exception Becomes the Accepted Rule.
1. Paul says the end times will be “terrible”=”difficult, dangerous”
2. we might think this is like our present day, but it is not.
3. look around, and see we are still under “common grace.”
PP “Common grace is the grace of God by which he gives people innumerable blessings that are not part of salvation” Dr. Wayne Grudem, “Systematic Theology”, p 657
4. we saw this is our study of Revelation.
5. the “seals of Revelation 6 are the withdrawing of common grace from the world.
6. essentially, this removes the restraining hand of God from man, and man manifests his true nature.
7. that unrestrained nature is described in vv2-4 here in 2 Timothy
8. two basic groupings of these 18 characteristics of the intensifying sin of the last days.
9. many with the letter Greek “a” in front, which means something that has been removed or rejected.
Il) we use the words “amoral”, “Acapella
10. this is a group of words which describes the loss of something that was good. (common grace)
11. end of v2, “without obedience to their parents”, without thankfulness, without holiness”
Il) by the way, every writer thinks disobedience to parents is at an all time high and cannot get worse. Personal exp.?
12. v3 continues, with 5 out of 6 words starting with “a”
13. without normal family affection of parent for child, without the ability to make peace with others, without power over ones self, and without love for good.
14. in other words, the things that still in our day cause people to shake their heads and sigh will no longer cause that reaction
Il) we have been treated over and over to the video of the school bus fight in Gilbert. Someday, my friends, that will be normal behavior, and there will be no apology
15. we can see the slide toward this, and it is the increasing stench of death.
16. the church tries to stop this steady march downward, but we have to do more than making sinners behave better.
Il) lady who has two cadaver dogs named Grace and Mercy. They follow the scent of death to bring life!